[SOLVED] Need help 100 disk usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2020
Hi everyone

So I've had this problem on and off for awhile now

Whenever I start gaming any game

My disk usage will shoot up to 100 and my games will start bugging out lagging crashing etc

It won't always stay at 100 but rather spike every couple mins or so it will hang at 100 for a good couple mins at a time

I haven't noticed if it does within when not gaming cuz I only use the pc for games

I have read every 100 disk usage forum on Google and none of the fixes I found have worked

I've tried everything disable windows defender

Disable sysmain

Disabled all xbox programs including game bar

I've done a disk check

I've changed and inspected sata cables

I've disabled a whole lot of other stuff I cant really rember watching YouTube videos

I've done alot and am stumped could my hdd be failing ?

I have 16 gb ram

Also I noticed today that while the cpu usage was at 100 my system was using 30 mb ! And I've never noticed that before usually it only uses like 2 to 5 mb max

Also I've done a virus scan and maleware check

Full pc specs

Ryzen 3 3200g
Rx 580 8gb
Msi b450 gaming plus max
Evga 750watt gold
2tb barricuda hdd
2x 8gb ages g.skill

I'm lost please help lol

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020
Sorry it is a Samsung 860 evo not 870 qvo

And I know disabling page file isn't the answer your right about that its just the only way I've been able to play without pagefile putting my disk usage 100 every 30 seconds

I will try what you said and set it to 8gb hopfully that will help ?

No crashes so far

Nov 29, 2020
Ok guys thanks for the help

My ssd came in today and Holy what a difference in speed on everything

So far no 100 disk usage yet hasent even reached 40 and im installing like 3 different games at once

Once the games are done ill report back if that was the fix or not

I appreciate the help

Ok guys thanks for the help

My ssd came in today and Holy what a difference in speed on everything

So far no 100 disk usage yet hasent even reached 40 and im installing like 3 different games at once

Once the games are done ill report back if that was the fix or not

I appreciate the help

Yeah using a SSD for the first time feels like the best upgrade you could have done for responsiveness on your OS. You will never want to return to a HDD after that. :)
I just upgraded an old 2 core laptop with a 5400RPM HDD and 4GB of RAM to 8GB RAM and a SSD and that laptop is like a new now. It runs so much faster that my mom thought it was a better laptop.

Nov 29, 2020
Well its fixed im pretty sure so far so good

Disk usage is sitting around 1 to 5 usually and pagefile is running so no more 100 usage problem anymore

Cant belive it was just the hard drive lol