[SOLVED] Need help adding RAM!

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
I currently have 8GB of RAM installed on my PC. It says that my RAM capacity is expandable to 64GB. I have looked inside my case and I can clearly see where the 8GB stick is installed and next to it more empty slots, 3 I believe. I just need to know the best way of going about adding more and if there is a specific type I need to get?
Thanks!

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I currently have 8GB of RAM installed on my PC. It says that my RAM capacity is expandable to 64GB. I have looked inside my case and I can clearly see where the 8GB stick is installed and next to it more empty slots, 3 I believe. I just need to know the best way of going about adding more and if there is a specific type I need to get?
Thanks!

The best way to increase the RAM would be throwing away the present ram and buying a paired set (ie: 2x8gb/4x8gb).
Buying a separate RAM and pairing it with the present one isn't recommended. Mixing RAM is troublesome.
RAM works better in dual channels. So, odd numbers of RAM sticks are not recommended.
And which RAM frequency you should get? This depends on your motherboard.

Thanks!
Yes you need specific type. It depends of:
Type of PC: desktop or laptoc
Exact model of motherboard / Chipset / bios version
Exact reference of the RAM installed (the 8 GB,).
This we need at least the motherboard reference

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
The best way to increase the RAM would be throwing away the present ram and buying a paired set (ie: 2x8gb/4x8gb).
Buying a separate RAM and pairing it with the present one isn't recommended. Mixing RAM is troublesome.
RAM works better in dual channels. So, odd numbers of RAM sticks are not recommended.
And which RAM frequency you should get? This depends on your motherboard.
What If I added an 8GB stick since I already have one 8GB stick=16GB total?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
What If I added an 8GB stick since I already have one 8GB stick=16GB total?
Might work, might not work. Might cause system instability. No guarantees.
And if they don't work, you're gonna have to buy a paired set again or end up with just the RAM stick you had before. (As adding the new one with the present one is not working well)

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
Might work, might not work. Might cause system instability. No guarantees.
And if they don't work, you're gonna have to buy a paired set again or end up with just the RAM stick you had before. (As adding the new one with the present one is not working well)
Got it! So if I wanted to have 16GB RAM total, just buy 2 new 8GB Sticks correct?

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
CPU-Z or Systen Information should have that info
I opened up my Control Panel and System Information just gives the Manufacturer, Core Type, Ram Installed. Nothing about the Motherboard. I also opened up Device Manager but don't know what it would be under? Sorry, I'm learning about this sort of stuff but don't have it down quite yet!

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I opened up my Control Panel and System Information just gives the Manufacturer, Core Type, Ram Installed. Nothing about the Motherboard. I also opened up Device Manager but don't know what it would be under? Sorry, I'm learning about this sort of stuff but don't have it down quite yet!
If it's a desktop, there should be something like "Baseboard Product/System Model"