Question Need help/advice on new build

May 1, 2019
Hi everyone, new here and i was needing some insight on some issues going on with my new build. It is as follows: gigabyte z390ud-8700k non oc'ed (yet) team group 3200mhz ram (16gb) seasonic focus 750w gold psu and an RX vega 56, PNY 480Gb ssd. The issue i am having is some random system freezing going on. Sometimes its worse than others sometimes it happens in 1 minute after boot-up sometimes it happens after 2-3 hours of gaming, either way its very annoying and the only thing i can figure is maybe the ssd is dying but i wanted to get someone else that's more savvy than i am to maybe give some insight. Almost forgot to mention there is something else besides the freezing, the internet is intermittent with it as well. As a matter of fact chrome will not work at all, not even after a second clean windows re-install. It acts as if im not connected to the internet at all, i have tried drivers from gigabyte i've tried not installing drivers etc (both ways with a new clean install of windows). Bios has been updated to latest, windows updates are the latest, everything on my system is running default except i enables XMP to run the standard 3200mhz and enabled the all core enhancement. I built this system after deciding my X58 system was too far outdated, Still works perfect with no issues at all.

Edit: Forgot to add my cpu cooler is a Deepcool captain 240mm aio and all temps are very good even under load.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can always run CrystalDisk Info to check drive health. Probably wouldn't explain the network issues.

MCE is a type of overclocking. And you say not overheating...Is the CPU getting enough voltage to maintain stability under a load across many cores? The stock voltage settings may not be ideal with XMP enabled for the memory and MCE on. Could need a little more juice to happy, I would give that a try, or just start your overclocking attempts and see if that helps. Could be many minor voltages you need to tweak., might also need to give the memory a little more juice if it is the source of the problem.

Doesn't rule out a faulty part, but the problem with a new system like this is you don't have anything you can swap in to test with.

May 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I totally forgot about testing the ssd. So the memory is suppose to be at 3200mhz factory so you think it would need more voltage? Also something that happened last night that I forgot to mention is while playing generation zero after about 2 hours my screen goes blank and I could no longer hear discord or anything, had to do a hard reset. I also noticed discord would not connect to a server unless I ran as admin. I will start by trying what you suggested. Also when the freezes happen I can still see the mouse moving but nothing is responsive but usually it returns to normal but not always. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
Well everything in the bios has been set back to default, I ran Crystal mark and everything went fine I ran it multiple times which I am not that familiar with it so not really sure what to look for. I thought maybe it was fixed but low and behold about 30 minutes after testing and doing nothing more than looking through webpages it froze again. I could still see my mouse cursor and move it fine but nothing was responsive, Ctrl alt delete and nothing had to hit reset.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
XMP is a type of overclocking. Under ideal conditions the automatic settings make the system stable, but you are overclocking and the CPU has the memory controller on it. They are all a little different. It may take 1.36 volts or something to make the memory happy, just something to experiment with.

Same for the CPU. While motherboard defaults try to make a profile for each CPU model that accounts for the variances between CPUs, they aren't perfect. If your CPU is boosting to 4.7Ghz and the voltage is sagging enough it could be the source of the problem.

Needing to use admin rights to launch some programs is normal, depends on where they are installed and what they need access to.

When in doubt, remove everything you don't need. You should be able to get away with CPU, Motherboard, One stick of memory, and your boot drive. (You can also go through the BIOS and disable devices) If the computer is stable during that, add a component and test again. When it stops being stable you have the source of the problem.

May 1, 2019
XMP is a type of overclocking. Under ideal conditions the automatic settings make the system stable, but you are overclocking and the CPU has the memory controller on it. They are all a little different. It may take 1.36 volts or something to make the memory happy, just something to experiment with.

Same for the CPU. While motherboard defaults try to make a profile for each CPU model that accounts for the variances between CPUs, they aren't perfect. If your CPU is boosting to 4.7Ghz and the voltage is sagging enough it could be the source of the problem.

Needing to use admin rights to launch some programs is normal, depends on where they are installed and what they need access to.

When in doubt, remove everything you don't need. You should be able to get away with CPU, Motherboard, One stick of memory, and your boot drive. (You can also go through the BIOS and disable devices) If the computer is stable during that, add a component and test again. When it stops being stable you have the source of the problem.

Thank you! I will try it tonight.

May 1, 2019
Ok so for whatever reason when the RAM voltage is set to auto it was only running at 1.15v, i bumped that up to 1.25 and the system is now stable. These new systems are night and day different from the older systems, to me anyways. Thank you Eximo for your help i really appreciate it.