Need help ASAP choosing gaming laptop August 2018

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Need help choosing a gaming laptop. I know a desktop would be more upgradable but I need some portability. I no longer play the top games needing very high settings so that should help with cooling. I play games, do artwork and need good graphics for that as well.

My two big issues : the graphics card geforce 1060, 1070 or 1080 (not as good as a titan but I don't think I need that). The second is the brand. I am looking at asus, acer, alienware and msi.

Need a reliable computer with good screen, great graphics, cooling and some battery life. Any specific models would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015

Thanks for posting. I need either a 15 or 17" screen.

Which graphics card would you choose and why: 1060, 1070 or 1080? Thanks

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Under $2000. I would like an 8th gen chip and I-7, nice screen since I do artwork and graphics too, at least 16GB ram upgradable down the road, and a good graphics card. I am hung up especially on which card to get. the 1060, 1070 and 1080 all seem similar. The 1080 isn't the titan so I don't know if I should even bother considering it. The 1070 seems very similar.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks all for the suggestions. Still don't understand the differences between the graphics cards. The 1070 seems very similar to the 1080. Don't know if the 1060 is enough. Thanks.

Also any thoughts on Asus or acer?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Brand doesn't matter too much. It's mainly about what components are in the system. Cooling can be very important though(depending on where you place the laptop & how much you use it). MSI gaming laptops normally have the best fan/heatsink configurations.

As for the video cards.... 1050's are the 'entry level' & move up from there. If you are spending $2,000 on a laptop, you should go for one that at least has a 1070. A 1070 will ensure you'll be able to play AAA titles on 1080p or 1440p @ high/ultra settings for a good while longer.

How long? That all depends on how quickly games advance. With engines getting better & technology like Nvidia's "temporal antialiasing"... they are advancing much faster then they used to. Back in the day, you'd be able to buy a top of the line system and have it last you up to 10 years. These days it's closer to 1/2 that.

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015

That helps a lot. I think going with a 1070 or 1080 will maybe future proof it enough. I don't think the 1060 will. Even though I can longer sit for gaming online, I still want the option to do what I want with my computer. I'm choosing a laptop so I can have a little more portability if I need it in bed.

Like you said, tech is now advancing very quickly. If the newer cards are coming in Sept - Oct, should I wait?The older cards (1070/1080) could make the laptops cheaper so maybe I can max out my RAM. Or supply and demand could make them more expensive with fewer around. I have read that the 1080 is very close to the 1070 and it is certainly not the 1080Ti or Titan that is the flagship now.

Just for background info, my last computer was an Alienware desktop Aurora 2 with 2-gtx680s sli and then later an evga classified gtx690 because I wanted a sound card added. The sli never worked anyway. I have always chosen top cards as I like to work with graphics. When it was delivered I cried, I was so blown away. This huge strange thing with blue eyes like mine amazed me.

However, Alienware turned out to be a nightmare, even though I had a 4 year warranty. After one year and multiple fixes (6 motherboard exchanges, 4 daughterboards, several hard drive and video card swaps, and the chip changed twice (a K chip - don't remember which one) the computer would never load windows or boot up. They refused an exchange and the manager for tech support told me he was done. The senior tech who ordered the computer rebuilt in my house several times was upset but his hands were tied. The manager voided my warranty for no reason, left me with a huge paperweight taking up a ton of desk space and dumped me on my head. I did nothing to the computer to void a warranty. They did the diagnostics and sent the repair people. I had been with Dell for 25 years. So much for loyalty. I'm an old lady who had cancer so my hubby bought me a fancy computer to play games on so I would have something to do at night when I couldn't sleep. I liked fighting monsters lol. Even though I played the newer games, I the Heretic series was always my favorite, Grim Fandango and others were also favorites as well. I played them later on an old computer my friend gave me because the the new one didn't have floppy drive or dos. The whole miserable experience broke my heart. It cut me off from my friends. And it also cut me off from access to treatment protocols. I could not afford a lawyer but should have sued them. They still have my warranty money which could have gone towards a new rig.

I know alienware is still tops to many (but a far cry from when alienware wasn't dell and voodoo was still around. Dell just made them a commercial price point instead of the rolls royce of computers). And I am still attracted to the computers. But I also feel their specs may look great on paper but clearly the parts suck. And everything Dell is proprietary. However, I will never get over what they did to me and will never trust them if something goes wrong. I have a friend who would build me a desktop but I need a laptop now as I cannot sit in one place for long.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions I find here. Young folks seem to be miles ahead of me when it comes to tech. You can't even get subscriptions to computer magazines anymore with PCWorld and others either online or not that computer info driven. Thanks for the input.

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Once the new cards come out, it will be a bit longer before they start offering laptops with those cards. Not to mention the price will be higher. Although yes, once the new cards are available... the old(current) cards will come down in price a little.

On a side note, for dealing with cancer.. you're going to want to cut out dairy, red meat and sugar(as much as possible). Stick with fish(wild caught is best), nuts, juicing frequently & eating lots of beans/peas. You will also want to exercise as much as possible(even just walking around helps)

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015

I appreciate your response. Recently I joined an online art class with a teacher who I have taken workshops with. As I can no longer travel by plane - she is in Utah, I am thrilled that she is offering the class online. Since I cannot work, the painting keeps me busy. I absolutely need a laptop soon but can work from my tablet mirrored on the TV in my studio through Chromecast (that TV is stupid, elsewhere in the house are the smart ones lol). Hubby's computer will have to do for projects until I get my own computer. Really miss the Alienware desktop. It was special when it worked. Couldn't beat it as it was really maxed out with all the newest stuff. I don't miss Dell however. I really should have sued them but sometimes life happens and you end up with bigger fish to fry. Haven't had my own computer in 4 years and miss playing games and killing monsters too.

I will continue to watch offerings and prices on 1070 and 1080 laptops with 8th gen chips. I've read now is a good time and Oct - Dec is also a good time to buy a computer. A worry is the cooling with a gaming laptop. My desktop had liquid cooling and rarely got hot.

Thanks so much for the tips on healthy being. Exercise is hard for me but I try and I also try to eat well. Carbs indeed are my enemy and I'm lucky I like fruits and veggies. Didn't think about dairy so that is a good tip. I eat cheeses for calcium. Maybe I need another source for that. Be well, Bliss aka divadoll.

Jan 21, 2018

The Alienware 15 or the Alienware 17 with the 1070 should be fine. It can handle almost all games at high settings without stattering