[SOLVED] Need help ASAP!!! I was changing my PSU and accidentally plugged in the a wire into System 1 fan it sparked and the PC won’t turn on what do I do?

Feb 21, 2022
Need help ASAP!!! I was changing my PSU and accidentally plugged in the a wire into System 1 fan it sparked and the PC won’t turn on what do I do?

Solution
First, unplug the pc from the wall. Give it a minute. If you tripped a protective circuit (like the SC short circuit, circuit protection), it needs a complete power off cycle to reset. A pc that's plugged in is never 'off', it's in Standby mode, waiting to start the OS. It takes unplugging and waiting for the caps to drain in order to reset its internal 'breaker' so to speak.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Motherboard, make and model?

PSU? Modular? Were you re-using cables from the old/original PSU?

What specific wire did you plug into the System 1 fan?

If you were working (as it appears) with the power turned on there is a very good chance that you caused an electrical short and fried the motherboard and/or other components.

More information needed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First, unplug the pc from the wall. Give it a minute. If you tripped a protective circuit (like the SC short circuit, circuit protection), it needs a complete power off cycle to reset. A pc that's plugged in is never 'off', it's in Standby mode, waiting to start the OS. It takes unplugging and waiting for the caps to drain in order to reset its internal 'breaker' so to speak.

Solution