Question Need help because my PC is underperforming by a lot

Dec 26, 2022
Hello guys!

So i have a PC and I just bought an RTX 3070 and I need some help.
Here are the specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC Rev. 1
16 gb ram 2400 MHz
Samsung 860 EVO (for games)
Sasmung 970 EVO Plus (for Windows 10)
WD Blue 2 TB HDD (for stuff)
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Chieftec 600W PSU (85 bronze)
1080p Display

I upgraded from an RX 480 and I was so stoked to play games on hella FPS but sadly this is not the case.
All drivers are up to date and everything, I tried a lot of troubleshooting like checking if Windows is in performance mode or tweeking the Nvidia Control Panel with the help of youtube and google.
In every single game I am playing I have 30-40% less FPS than I think I should be getting. For example in CS:GO on Dust 2 I am only getting around 130-150 FPS wich is ridiculous.
In Cyberpunk (no ray tracing DLSS Quality) 35-50 FPS.
Warzone 2 60-70 FPS... and I could go on.

Temps are in order. CPU under load at around 65 C, GPU under load around 67 C.

I know that the 2400 MHz ram is not the perfect choice but I built this PC 3 years ago and I wasn't really (sadly) paying attention to that detail. I still think though that I should have a lot more FPS than I am getting. I read everywhere that it is CPU bottleneck but other people are getting as I already said nearly double my FPS count in nearly every game (according to the gaming benchmarks) .

Do you maybe have any idea what I could do?

If needed I am happy to attach benchmarks or anything if that helps.

I appreciate the help.

I've read the other threads regarding my problem but nothing helped that I've tried.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I read everywhere that it is CPU bottleneck
Wrong. Dunno where you read that, but whomever wrote it has no idea what they are talking about, and are just spewing words to make themselves sound like they know the answer.

The cpu is the source of fps. It takes the game code and translates it into a data framework, applies certain game settings, assigns vectors, Ai, object dimensions, colors, collisions, object locations, and a bunch of other stuff and packs it into a data packet to be sent to the gpu. The amount of times a cpu can do all that in one second is your maximim fps.

Once the gpu gets the packet, it renders all those instructions into a wire frame, places every object according to instructions, adds colors and lighting and shadows etc then final renders that into a full picture according to resolution. The amount of times a gpu can do that is the fps you get on screen.

A gpu can't render more fps than is sent by the cpu, but can render less. Just because it's possible that a gpu could render more than the cpu sends, doesn't mean the cpu is a bottleneck, just means the gpu is under utilized. The cpu isn't slowing down the flow of info, it's the source, so the flow is whatever it is.

So all that said, there's only 2 causes of low fps. Either something is blocking the cpu from getting the info, such as bios or driver or software conflicts, or something is blocking the gpu output, such as game settings, gpu settings etc.

But realize that a gpu is respondent to the cpu. If the cpu is sending 100fps to the gpu, it wouldn't make a difference if you went from a Rx480 to a 3070 or from a Rx480 to a 4090, it's not going to mean you see more than the 100fps you got with the Rx480. To see Any rise in fps, it Must mean the cpu is sending far more than the Rx480 could render, which is far less than a 3070 can render.

So to answer your question, it's not the gpu. It's the cpu. Something is stopping the cpu from sending higher fps counts. That could be anything from registry conflicts to high background use, or something as simple as you need to use DDU to get rid of the old AMD drivers or possibly reset Windows. https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/reinstall-windows-10-without-losing-data-4348.html (use method #1)

Reactions: Misa123

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Nvidia recommends a 650W PSU. Not to say that it can't be run on 600W, but not really sure what the quality and power delivery is of that Chieftec 600W Broze unit. I would think with the balance of equipment you are probably good, but something to consider.

I am curious as to what your CPU load is while running these titles. I don't like to use the term "bottleneck", but I do feel like you could see better results with something a bit more modern and powerful for a 3070. I also don't think that 2400 speed RAM is helping anything.
The GPU puts you in a good position to upgrade well upscale but think that you are going to be up against a new PSU/CPU/RAM.
Personally, think I would be looking at a better quality 650+ W PSU, a 5600X (etc.), and some low latency RAM @3600 (and would consider 32GB since upgrading). This is a pretty good expense to put on top of your (assumed) Christmas update, so might just bide some time, enjoy what certainly have to be better quality settings and/or FPS over the old GPU and chip away at the updates as you can afford them.

Dec 26, 2022
Thank you for the replies.

I fully reinstalled windows after getting the new GPU so there should not be any AMD drivers left on my pc.

I am planning on fully upgrading to a 7600X so that brings new RAM new MOBO and everything but as mentioned I am going to buy those things in the coming months.

I was comfortable with staying this PSU because I checked EVGA Power Meter and it recommended a 500 Watt PSU for my system.

Here is a QuickCPU screenshot while playing CSGO.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rQnPcpCyHwDjexvC8

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I use a 600W Gold Corsair with my 11900K and 3070 FE and have no power issues, but as mentioned have no specific knowledge of the unit you are using.

I would probably consider some new faster RAM with more capacity as first course of action. The 2xxx you have now should be fine with 29xx-3200, but even at that would probably go ahead to 3600 with the CPU update in mind. You don't have to use the XMP value which the 2600 CPU isn't going to realize until then.

Keep in mind that going to a 7600X is going to require new mobo and RAM. If such is your plan I would not change anything in this system while building funds to make that upgrade.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At this point, xmp is moot. The Kingston is 3200MHz and has an xmp profile, but the Crucial is 2400MHz and does not. OP isn't going to do anything further with the ram, it's as good as it gets without seriously tampering with the Secondary timings.

The biggest issue is the 2600 is getting long in the tooth, especially in comparison to newer cpus. Unfortunately new release games are not modeled with the 2600 as base, so they'll come up short every time, and recent cpu gains are far exceeding the @ 5-10% uptick. In layman's terms, it's like comparing a FX-6300 to a Ryzen 2600. Break out the vacuum cuz the dust is flying.

Dec 26, 2022
So if I would buy one more of the Kingston RAM and swap it with the crucial, you say I would have quite the better performance?

Or should I leave it like this for the next 2-3 months and just fully upgrade my whole system?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you are miserable with the performance as is, don't waste your money on ram upgrades for such a short waiting period. While it may not be a top performer, it's still usable as is and the gains won't be enough to justify the expense. There's also a possibility that the new ram won't work with the existing ram, which can further frustrate things.