Need help building gaming rig.... (mobo?, liquid cooling?, etc)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
not sure if this is in the right section, sorry if it isn't but

alright, so basicly im deciding to maybe build my own desktop... i wont care about the cost. i care about the performance and kind of noise. also looking at how hot/cold it will/can be. so far all i have is this to run on.

Case: is def. full-tower... i just dont know which one to get yet... suggestions please for this as well~

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 980x Extreme Six Core Processor (3.33GHz, 12MB Cache) (heard theres a way to make it 12 cores? im new to this..)

Operating system: Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English

memory: not sure weather to get 6 gb sticks or 12 gb sticks.... and if i should get 2 or 3/4

hard drive: 512GB Raid 0 (2x 256GB Samsung Solid State HDDs (if theres a better hard drive suggest please~ must be SSD) (solid state)

Video card: Dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 CrossfireX™ Enabled or Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480 - SLI Enabled??? (if theres a better one again~ please suggest)

optical drive: Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BR-R, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) (again suggest better ones please?)

sound card? (is it needed...):Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (suggest?)

and of course the optional Killer Xeno™ Pro

Im wondering which liquid cooling system i should get and which motherboard would be best to handle all of these... i know its a lot to ask but i really really wanna know and it would be awesome if u could share your knowledge. (btw if im missing stuff tell me and ill edit it in... my bad in advance ^^;;)

thanks a bunch

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

holy o_O;; wouldnt that be kinda loud? xP i kinda dont want noise xP

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

ahhh i took apart my old broken desktop and put it back together xP man it was old!!! 512 MB ram stick i nearly cried from laughing xP

it also didnt have a graphics card and the heat sink was weird o_o couldnt even take it off! the hard drive was 40 gb LOL XD omg i had fun though xP whatdo ya think?

ares1214

Splendid
ha, i have a castle of dead computer supplies. Broken laptops are the draw bridge, SATA cables lower and higher the drawbridge, HDD's are the courtyard, PSUs are the bricks of the castle, thermal paste is the mortar, CPUS make the mosaic floors of the inside, and motherboards the windows. :D

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

LOL seriously? xP mind shipping me some of that stuff so i can use it? xD

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

Do you mind if I make that my signature, because that's possibly the coolest thing I've ever heard of. :bounce:

ares1214

Splendid
its a lot easier than you think. imagine using your computer. every program you start up and run, like games, programs, office, stuff like that, are on the ssd. this takes no thinking, just clicking. then all your word documents and all other files are on the large hdd. take it from someone who knows, since you dont have to search thru drives and files to open the things on the ssd, its like only having 1 hdd.

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

so really u just have to chooose which drive u wanna save to right? what if i only wanted my OS on a like.... 20 gb SSD drive?

ares1214

Splendid
20 gigs are pretty hard to come by, and its a bit small, id say 64 gig, but its even simpler than that, just set what drive to boot drive and what to storage and it recognizes after you tell it once to keep everything on the storage, even though you have downloaded everything on the ssd.

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

so after u install the os and everything u just go to set up again and change from "load from cd" to "load from hard drive 1" or something?

ares1214

Splendid
not even that, the os is only on the ssd, so it knows it can only be booted from the ssd. you then download everything on the ssd (important atleast depending on the size). you then select the hdd as the storage drive once, and everything is automatically saved to it.

saranghaes2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

haha thats awesome~ :] so i get a 64gb ssd and install my os onto it. i dont have to change anyhting about "boot from cd" in setup? thats what i've been wondering about cause in the videos i've watched, it always just says "dont press any key button again"