[SOLVED] Need help building my sons first gaming pc. .

Nov 23, 2020
My son is 13 and has been running an old rig that barely plays minecraft. Since I recently got a decent paying job, I told him id build him a new gaming pc (capable of running fortnite, 24/7, 365 (lol) for $500 as a Christmas gift. He knows I built one, ten or twelve years ago, but not that I havent been "keeping up with the times" so to speak. When I built mine, I came to TomsHardware forums and a lot of really great ppl helped me build mine. I just need a tower with all the hardware. He has a mouse, keyboard, & monitor. Im just not up to date on whats good and what to avoid. Ive always been an intel/nvidia closet fanboy though. Past that, will anyone direct me toward a decent build?

Thanks in advance for any help, tips, or suggestions!
- Kevin

Solution
It's a difficult task to pull out a decent machine at 500$. Realistic price would be 700$.

That being said, in your situation, I would personally sacrifice the CPU a bit and splurge into the GPU as much as you can. You'll likely end up going 600$ for a FULL machine if you do not reuse parts. So that would set you at an i3 CPU (low but 4c / 8threads, for an entry PC, acceptable), cheap motherboard since it doesnt need overclocking capabilities and 2 RAM slots will be as much as you get haha, CPU supports 2666mhz Ram - so just the cheapest set of ram that will =or> 2666 will do (ram chips actually come from about the same supplier between expensive stuff and cheap stuff, so you're getting a good chip either way, it's the heat shields and...
What country are you shopping in?

Do you need a Windows 10 license included in the $500 budget?

Is this going to be a "from scratch" build, or a pre-built?

Assuming the monitor is 1080p, 60Hz?

Since $500 isn't a ton of money. Is the plan for the machine to stay as-is for a while, or for there to be subsequent upgrades in the near-term future?

Reactions: AdamG

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Ive always been an intel/nvidia closet fanboy though. Past that, will anyone direct me toward a decent build?

Ryzen 5 2600 is 140$ and benches 13k on cpubenchmark, comparable intel benches are over 200$. Its a problem you will run into with a budget being a intel closet fanboy, but I've built both intel/amd and have no real preference. I believe most will tell you AMD generally is more budget friendly for CPUs. Its something to keep in mind for a 500$ budget. Plus you can always get a nvidia GPU without any issues they run on AMD motherboards with amd cpus, and just hide the AMD parts from his virgin eyes. XD

Nov 23, 2020
What country are you shopping in?
-America

Do you need a Windows 10 license included in the $500 budget?
-No. Ijust need the machine.

Is this going to be a "from scratch" build, or a pre-built?
-From scratch build.

Assuming the monitor is 1080p, 60Hz?
-Ill have to check on that. I know he cant use HDMI, so he uses VGA instead.

Since $500 isn't a ton of money. Is the plan for the machine to stay as-is for a while, or for there to be subsequent upgrades in the near-term future?
-Ill be upgrading it in the future but id like it "ready to run" as possible.

America is a big continent with lots of countries, can you be more specific?

"-Ill have to check on that. I know he cant use HDMI, so he uses VGA instead." Its important to know if the monitor only have a VGA input or if ti also have a DVI/HDMI/DP one?

America = United States of America

What IS the old/current PC? Is it a pre-built/OEM machine, or aftermarket?
  • Looking to reuse the current storage (hdd), what capacity is it?
  • Can we reuse the current case?
  • What is the brand/model/wattage of the current PSU?
If we reuse components like the case and PSU that don't really affect performance, that frees up $$ to buy stuff that does increase performance, especially with a restricted budget. Reusing the case, psu, and storage frees up about $150 in the budget, which is SIGNIFICANT with a $500 limit.

My biggest concern is about the PSU, but assuming we reuse, this is what the build would/could look like:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8 GB Phantom Gaming D OC Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $493.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 16:57 EST-0500

Keep an eye out for black Friday sales this week.

Last edited:
It's a difficult task to pull out a decent machine at 500$. Realistic price would be 700$.

That being said, in your situation, I would personally sacrifice the CPU a bit and splurge into the GPU as much as you can. You'll likely end up going 600$ for a FULL machine if you do not reuse parts. So that would set you at an i3 CPU (low but 4c / 8threads, for an entry PC, acceptable), cheap motherboard since it doesnt need overclocking capabilities and 2 RAM slots will be as much as you get haha, CPU supports 2666mhz Ram - so just the cheapest set of ram that will =or> 2666 will do (ram chips actually come from about the same supplier between expensive stuff and cheap stuff, so you're getting a good chip either way, it's the heat shields and PCB boarding that's the trade off mostly). GPU 1660 Super (took the 10$ more expensive one for the dual fan cooling instead of the mini single fan version), a pretty good low-mid range card, nvidia i guess was more the deciding factor. PSU, basic, does the job. Case, some eye candy is definetly needed! in a couple of months, throw a few RGB fans in it and I'm sure he'll be very happy with it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($114.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M S2H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Team GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC DIY-A1-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $599.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 00:53 EST-0500

check it, change it, tweak it (use this website to have a look for yourself as to pricing and parts PC Part Picker). you're in a hard spot really, take what you can from this and try to reuse your parts. You will MOST LIKELY need another monitor, you could possibly try and get a used one from facebook marketplace or other local classifieds (40-60$ should be enough for 1080p basic monitor with HDMI)

Reactions: tennis2
Solution