Intel i7 2700k 3.5ghz overclocked to 4.5ghz
MSI P67A-C43
AMD Radeon Vega 56 8RAM HBM2
16GB RAM (4x4)
Crucial SSD 960GB
Crucial SSD 256GB
Corsair RM850X plus Gold full modular
CoolerMaster Masterliquid lite 120mm
CoolerMaster CASE ( asking price 400 EUR) OR an i7 3770 with RX580 red devil 8gb, 8gb RAM, 1.5 TB HDD, 250 SSD ( asking price 330 EUR). Would it be really worth to pay the extra 70 EUR for gaming purposes only? Would it be a dramatic increase in performance on current and upcoming games?

Solution
I mean, if they're trying to keep the budget under $400, you're probably not going to get that level of performance with new hardware for that.

An i7-2700K might be a bit old, but processors haven't exactly become massively faster in the 8 or so years since it came out. With an overclock, it shouldn't be too far behind current lower-mid-range processors like an i5-9400F or a Ryzen 3100.

And Vega 56, while a bit power-hungry under load, is less than 3 years old, and performs not far behind a 2060 or 5600 XT. So, buying a new CPU and graphics card with similar performance would cost around $400 for those components alone, and that's before getting to the rest of the hardware that would be needed for a complete system. Assuming...
I mean, if they're trying to keep the budget under $400, you're probably not going to get that level of performance with new hardware for that.

An i7-2700K might be a bit old, but processors haven't exactly become massively faster in the 8 or so years since it came out. With an overclock, it shouldn't be too far behind current lower-mid-range processors like an i5-9400F or a Ryzen 3100.

And Vega 56, while a bit power-hungry under load, is less than 3 years old, and performs not far behind a 2060 or 5600 XT. So, buying a new CPU and graphics card with similar performance would cost around $400 for those components alone, and that's before getting to the rest of the hardware that would be needed for a complete system. Assuming everything works, you would be paying more than double to get a similar level of performance out of new hardware.

As for the initial question, the first system's hardware should perform better. The 2700K and 3770 perform similar at stock clocks, but with an overclock the 2700K can be around 10% faster. Vega 56 should be close to 50% faster than an RX 580. And 16GB of RAM is going to be more comfortable for modern games than 8GB. Plus, the 960GB SSD is bound to be a lot faster at loading games than the 1.5TB HDD. Considering it only costs around 20% more, that seems worth the higher price, assuming both are in similar condition.

Reactions: Tatscru1
Solution