Need Help choosing an SSD

SR90

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
I'm looking at getting an SSD to revive my ageing computer. Only issue is haven't much of a clue what to go for. My budget is about 80 to 90 pounds.

I've had a look at some drives from Samsung, Kingston and sandisk. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or can point in the right direction.

Cheers

SR

Solution

No settings changes, but going to a whole different PC you should really do a full reinstall. Often, you have no choice because it simply does not work.
In any case, it is recommended for major hardware changes.

SR90

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
USAFRet : My PC M/B has SATA II.

Is it worth getting an SSD with SATA II ?

Also is the Kingston v300 any good ? As I'm only going to use it as a boot drive and add few programs onto it ( i.e. word, GIMP, nitro pdf etc) not sure I need full 240 as I have a 1 TB hard drive already installed.

ethanroxx

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Do NOT buy a v300. I have one, and the read/write is terrible.(>150 mbs read >100 mbs write.) They switched from synchronous to asynchronous ram, without notice, and the advertised speeds is tested with atto, a program that favors asynchronous ram. Kingston lost their trust with me.

USAFRet

Titan

It will be 'faster' than an HDD, but obviously not up to the response time you'd get with a SATA III connection.

Teejers

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
A SATA III SSD is backwards compatible to a SATA II port. You should just expect SATA II speeds. Kingston V300 is another well reviewed SSD option. In fact, in the US that specific model (and its various capacities) have been on sale. Honestly, I've never seen such a quality SSD as the Crucial M500 have a price ratio of ₤0.41/Gb. For the same price, you'd normally only get a 120/128 Gb capacity.

SR90

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Right so overall the Samsung evo or crucial m500 is the way forward. In regards to setting up an SSD, looking to possibly build a new pc in the near future ( It's been a while). Do I have to change the settings transferring an SSD from SATA II to SATA III and will the Samsung or crucial drives be ok with this ?

USAFRet

Titan

No settings changes, but going to a whole different PC you should really do a full reinstall. Often, you have no choice because it simply does not work.
In any case, it is recommended for major hardware changes.

Solution