Need help choosing between a Ryzen or Intel Build

baconlord5123

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Hey, I'm creating a new build(first time) and I don't know which CPU I should choose. I'm debating on either getting a Ryzen 5 2600 or an Intel i5-8500. Those are the two CPU's that I am stuck deciding. Ryzen is appealing to me with the higher thread count and that it is overclockable. With Intel, the CPU that I am getting would have better gaming performance then Ryzen but is unoverclockable. With the stock coolers, the 2600 has a much better quality stock cooler that can actually be used to overclock with(not as much as with a fancy cooler I know but still), and provides decent cooling. As for the 8500, the stock coolers are pretty crappy and I would have to get a new cooler soon if I want to get any performance out of it.

I will be using the same RAM, GPU, SSHD, case, PSU, and peripherals.

RAM: Team- Vulcan (2x4GB) DDR4-3000
GPU: Asus- Geforce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB
SSHD: 1 TB of Seagate Firecuda 7200 RPM Hybrid Drive
PSU: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Fully Modular
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG Mid Tower

Intel Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vXCbLJ
Most Likely to get a Hyper Evo 212 for CPU cooling after

Ryzen Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QwDrD2
Might get a CPU cooler as well but most likely not until I get into aggressive overclocks.

Any help with choosing between these two builds would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Depends on what you are going to do. If gaming is the primary use then the 8400 will give you an edge, how much so is going to be game dependent. If you are going to do other multi core/thread task stuff or stream and game then the Ryzen is probably a better bet.

It's going to be your choice above all else, with the potential for overclocking and more threads for game developers to hopefully start using the Ryzen's slightly lower performance may be worth getting over the Intel for long term. With the Intel down the road you could always pick up a used or on sale i7-8700 which is an absolute beast to upgrade.
Depends on what you are going to do. If gaming is the primary use then the 8400 will give you an edge, how much so is going to be game dependent. If you are going to do other multi core/thread task stuff or stream and game then the Ryzen is probably a better bet.

It's going to be your choice above all else, with the potential for overclocking and more threads for game developers to hopefully start using the Ryzen's slightly lower performance may be worth getting over the Intel for long term. With the Intel down the road you could always pick up a used or on sale i7-8700 which is an absolute beast to upgrade.

Solution