Question Need help choosing between several graphics cards

Jun 12, 2022
Currently using a 960 4GB - it's not bad or anything, it's just showing its age a bit and I wouldn't mind an upgrade. A few cards I have found decent offers on are:
Radeon 6500 - $200
GTX 1070TI - $210 (used)
Radeon 6600 - $350

Please note that Radeon prices will also include variable shipping costs, so their cost is not really set in stone.
As for the uses of them, I'd primarily want something future-proof. I'm definitely not a person who minds gaming on low setting on everything (playing a lot of strategies), but would like to have something that would let me enjoy (not necessarily triple A) FPSes (like UT4, Apex or PUBG for example) with a stable performance, a solid few years into the future. An added bonus is some extra power to handle video editing, on which I'm planning on getting started in the future. Also, as I'm currently using a very regular Benq GW2270 1080p 60fps, a future upgrade to 144hz would be great, since I don't think there's many titles that would support 144hz on my good ol' 960 on decent settings.
As for the rest of the hardware, I'm running:
H510M S2H motherboard
i3-10100f (recently upgraded, got it with a mobo for $130)
one SATA SSD, one SATA 3.5' 7200rpm HDD
and finally, a 400W PSU.
As a final point I'd add that not having to buy a brand new PSU would be great, since, aside from more expenses, I don't really want an ultra power - hungry machine.

Jun 12, 2022
In my opinion go with the 6600 from what you mentioned as it uses far less power than 1070ti. Also it is the most recent one out of these though will give you less FPS than 1070ti but as you going for the long run it is the best option.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What is the exact 400W PSU? That could make the 1070 Ti idea a very poor one, so this information is necessary. If it's a junky 400W, you shouldn't use any GPU that requires supplementary power. Or, really, at all, but definitely not with those types of GPUs.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
6500 is worthless for pcie3.0, it'd be a toss-up but I'd be inclined to believe it's probably somewhat equal to the 960 you have now, it's that bad.

1070ti would be the best, if it's an OK card, but your psu is nowhere near good enough, there aren't any really good 400w units and that card basically requires closer to a decent 550w.

The 6600 is ok, a decent upgrade, but is quite expensive for what you get, after fees, and requires a decent 550w psu also.

Meaning for right now, it's looking like you need a decent psu first at least before deciding on a gpu.

Jun 12, 2022
Ah, whoops, checked again and I indeed have a Corsair VS450. Based on your posts I'm taking 6500 off that list, so I suppose the main question will be between the 6600 and 1070ti. If I do end up getting a new PSU, I'll probably settle on something like Gigabyte GP-P750GM 750W.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ah, whoops, checked again and I indeed have a Corsair VS450. Based on your posts I'm taking 6500 off that list, so I suppose the main question will be between the 6600 and 1070ti. If I do end up getting a new PSU, I'll probably settle on something like Gigabyte GP-P750GM 750W.

Would not use a VS 450 with either of those GPUs.

Nor is the Gigabyte a good idea. Gigabytes are cheap because nobody wants them because of their recent issues with PSUs exploding. They say they're resolved the issue, but they're still using the same manufacturer with little experience in consumer PSUs.

At this point, only the Gigabyte Aorus PSUs are considered reasonable PSUs to acquire and there are usually better things at the price.

The Corsair CX PSUs are typically the least expensive PSUs worth bothering with.