[SOLVED] Need help choosing motherboard for a system using multiple NVMe SSD's

Feb 17, 2021
Hi, it's been a few years since I've messed around with building my last PC and things have changed quite a bit.

I need help identifying an ATX motherboard that would allow me to run four 2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD's in a Raid 0 configuration. I'd have a separate SATA SSD for OS/boot as well.

I have a 1300W power supply so I think I just need to know which motherboard will let me install these 4 ssd's and run them in Raid 0.

Thank you so much!

Solution
Hi, it's been a few years since I've messed around with building my last PC and things have changed quite a bit.

I need help identifying an ATX motherboard that would allow me to run four 2TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD's in a Raid 0 configuration. I'd have a separate SATA SSD for OS/boot as well.

I have a 1300W power supply so I think I just need to know which motherboard will let me install these 4 ssd's and run them in Raid 0.

Thank you so much!
For which platform?
For one, RAID with NVME drives is practically useless for speed, may even end up with even slower file system. How large SSDs? you might be better off with one large one.
Second thing, MBs with 4 NVME M.2 sockets are just very top ones. For AMD...

Thank you so much!
For which platform?
For one, RAID with NVME drives is practically useless for speed, may even end up with even slower file system. How large SSDs? you might be better off with one large one.
Second thing, MBs with 4 NVME M.2 sockets are just very top ones. For AMD platform, only Thread ripper CPUs with 4xM.2 NVMEs like this one https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/TRX40-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#kf
Only Threadripper has enough PCIe llnes to run them all.
If you want an "ordinary" system, something like this https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-X16-Expansion-Card/dp/B084HMHGSP would be better but it still needs at least 16 free PCIe x4 lines to feed it.
On the Intel side, you need Xeon platform.

Last edited:
Solution