need help choosing pc parts

Arman5592

Reputable
Jul 16, 2016
Hi
A while ago I decided to make a budget pc that I would use for some gaming , watching movies and normal tasks like web browsing and all , and that was a few weeks ago . So I checked for good builds around 1000$ and less, which usually included the GTX970 or the R9 390 . But now that I want to buy the parts , new stuff have been released and I have some doubts.
I want to choose between the RX 480 and the GTX1060 , and I read some reviews about both . some reviews say the GTX1060 is worth the extra price , some say that they are biased and the RX 480 outperforms the 1060 in Vulkan / DX12 games . The latter say that newer games will be made with Vulkan / DX 12 , and the RX 480 will perform better in games that will come .
So based on this , I don't really know which one's the better choice ? Would you recommend me a gtx 1060 or an rx 480 ?
Another problem is that sometimes , the rx 480 or the gtx 1060 get beaten by similarly priced but older GPUs such as R9 390 / 390X or R9 290 / 290X . I don't feel good about buying an older card but I also can't say if the newer one is actually better .
So should I buy some a 2016 card (rx480,1060) or an R9 390/390X/290/290X ? I also noticed that the older generation cards are really power hungry ?? Is that something I should consider too?

And the other problem that I have is about the CPU . If I buy the 6500 , and an H170 motherboard , it will be ok for a while . But is it worth the extra money if I get a 6600K and a Z170 motherboard , so I could overclock in the future ? Like , if I decide to upgrade my GPU in 3 years , will I be able to keep the overclocked 6600k and not change it ?(I mean will it be useful ?)

Another thing that I have a lot of questions about , is the storage . I want to use a 120/128 gb SSD and a 1 tb HDD , but I don't know if it's better to choose an M.2 or SATA , and I don't know what brand is better - many people use samsung and intel , but I also think kingston and transcend are good brands in storage , so is there any brand that is actually better ?
And many people recommend 7200 RPM but I am torn apart between 7200RPM and 5400 - 7200 will likely die sooner , and Im really afraid of that - my current HDD has been working for about 8 years , and I want to keep my HDD for a long time , and the idea of my hard drive suddenly burning and destroying all my data is really bad . So would you recommend a 7200rpm ? I'll keep my OSs on the ssd and everything else on the hdd , and a little bit longer loading times are no problem , if that's the only advantage of 7200 rpm ??

And my last question is about the case . I chose a SPEC-02 , but the hard drive brackets are right in front of the place where the second front fan is supposed to be . If I add a second fan and the HDD (and maybe even the SSD) would be in front of it , will my airflow be hurt? I plan on placing 2 120mm on the front and 1 120mm on the back , or (if neccessary) 2 140mm on the front and 1 120mm on the back and 1 120mm on the top (exhale), is this good airflow?

sorry about the post's length ( I wrote down all my questions and asked them at once :D )
Thanks in advance .

Solution
Buy a 2016 card. Unless you manage to find a really good deal on an older card I always say stick with the latest. They get the best support. Honestly you could toss a coin for the RX 480 and GTX 1060 ( heads 480 tails 1060) and have a good card. I'm leaning towards getting an aftermarket 1060 because it's cheaper than FE and cooler than the current 480. But that could change.

How much are you willing to spend? You could probably have the cpu live a bit longer if you can overclock. And you could probably keep the cpu when you upgrade the gpu and be fine.

M.2 is faster but more expensive. SSD is not as fast as M.2 but faster than HDD. The 850 EVO has won the hearts of many when buying an SSD. But Kingston certainly isn't bad. I would...
Buy a 2016 card. Unless you manage to find a really good deal on an older card I always say stick with the latest. They get the best support. Honestly you could toss a coin for the RX 480 and GTX 1060 ( heads 480 tails 1060) and have a good card. I'm leaning towards getting an aftermarket 1060 because it's cheaper than FE and cooler than the current 480. But that could change.

How much are you willing to spend? You could probably have the cpu live a bit longer if you can overclock. And you could probably keep the cpu when you upgrade the gpu and be fine.

M.2 is faster but more expensive. SSD is not as fast as M.2 but faster than HDD. The 850 EVO has won the hearts of many when buying an SSD. But Kingston certainly isn't bad. I would recommend a 7200 RPM. Faster then 5400 RPM and the difference between how long each live would probably take a really long time to notice. OS and maybe a game or two that you often play on the SSD, everything else HDD.

It will hurt a little but I don't think it would be great enough that you would really notice. If you do two intake and two exhale you will have neutral airflow. This means air is going in at the same rate it's going out (assuming all your fans are going the same speed and move the same amount of air. 2 intake and 1 exhale creates positive airflow, more air coming in than out and thus it expels air any place that it can. This helps prevent dust build up, but can leave potential deadzones of heat. 1 intake and 2 exhale creates negative airflow, more air going out than in and it pulls air in from anywhere it can. This prevents heat deadzones but can mean more dust inside you computer.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS