[SOLVED] Need help choosing the right CPU

Nov 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have recently decided to upgrade my dad's 2008 rig. By following the motherboard manual, I've managed to find all compatible and necessary components except for the CPU, which having to be an AMD makes things difficult for me as I'm more of an Intel person myself. Long story short I know nothing about the AMD chipsets :??:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/K9N_Neo_V2#support-cpu

This is the list of all compatible CPUs. If somebody who's better informed on this than I am can look into it and point out the best one, I'd be very grateful.

Solution
The best one out of that list would be the Athlon X2 5200+, specially the one with 2MB L2 cache (even though it was older, go figure) or the 6000+. Anyway, the AM2 platform is dead and those CPU's won't be useful even to browse the internet in 2018, in my opinion. It's a pity that your board doesn't support the Phenoms, those could be decent even by today standards.

David093

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
The best one out of that list would be the Athlon X2 5200+, specially the one with 2MB L2 cache (even though it was older, go figure) or the 6000+. Anyway, the AM2 platform is dead and those CPU's won't be useful even to browse the internet in 2018, in my opinion. It's a pity that your board doesn't support the Phenoms, those could be decent even by today standards.

Solution
Nov 25, 2018

Wouldn't the best one be the Athlon X2 Windsor 5600+? It has the highest frequency and cache (excluding the Brisbanes which all have 1MB chace).