Need Help! Computer won't boot using optimized defaults

Bobblez76

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello all, I have been having problems for about 2 months, here's a little back round of what led up to this. I was having problems with Diablo 3 freezing up while playing Season 15. At first I thought it was the game, it would freeze up while doing Greater Rifts, then it started doing it playing anything in the game. (I have a evga 1080TI, so i had everything maxed out and it played fine until about last week of September.) I tried turning down all the graphics settings to the lowest settings, I tried full-screen windowed mode, the issue was still happening. I then uninstalled the graphics drivers and re-installed the latest drivers for the card--- same issue. I then tried other games, (Witcher 3 and Shadow of War) same thing would happen, game would freeze a couple of minutes in and I could not escape or even get to the task manager... I had to turn the computer completely off and restart. I then thought it might have been a windows issues since we got an update @ September 28th so I rolled back the update and still no change. So then I tried uninstalling and re-installing the games, same issue. I ran a virus scan, no change, I wiped my drives clean and did a fresh install, same issue. The computer was overclocked so I then tried to reset the bios using "optimized default" settings but it would not boot from the optimized settings. I reset the cmos (removed the battery for about 2 min and reseated), but It still would not load to windows on default settings.. So I went back and loaded up the overclock profile to which the computer would load to Windows, but it still did not solve the problem of games crashing nor allow me to load "optimized defaults". I downloaded the current bios for my motherboard and flashed it but in doing so, it wiped my overclock profile and now it won't load to windows at all. I need help, this is my gaming as well as my business computer. Thank you in advance.

Here's my system specs:

Intel I5_4670K
Asus ROG Maxiumus Hero VI
Samsung 840pro x 2 Raid0
G-Skill 2400 (Trident) X 8G x 2
Windows 10 Home 64bit
Thermaltake 850 PSU
EVGA 1080TI
Corsair h 100i cooler

Solution

Bobblez76

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Ok, you're right, I forgot to change the the drives to RAID once I updated the bios. Once I did this and set the boot order correctly, It loaded fine to Windows. So Thank you. However, I now have run into the problem again when trying to play any games, the game freezes and either the game stops working and closes out or I am unable to back out of the game (via escape or task manager) and have to turn off the computer and restart. I'm wondering if its some sort of hardware issue at this point...cpu, motherboard, psu??? I did run a stress test using Time Spy Extreme prior to all this and was noticing my CPU had erratic speed changes and Temperature fluctuations, which I understand could be due to turbo mode being activated but It seemed very erratic compared to the steady temperature and graphic framerates while testing. (refer to original post to see what I have already done)

Run 3dmark default and compare result online after this. Post the web adress of your browser from the result

How high are temperatures of CPU and GPU?

Maybe the RAID is not working that good.
Check the SSDs with its manufacturer´s tool and eventually update firmware. Backup important data before doing this.

check and repair windows integrity
"To RESTORE health (recommended)

Use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, perform repair operations automatically, and records that corruption to the log file. This generally takes 15-30 minutes depending on the corruption and size of the partition"

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Bobblez76

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

Thanks Helpstar! After testing out everything, I was able to borrow another graphics card and everything worked fine. So I called EVGA and RMA'd the graphics card, popped in the new one and now everything works fine. It was hard to believe being it was a brand new graphics card.

Thanks for your help!

Solution