[SOLVED] Need Help Deciding New Parts

Apr 27, 2020
I'm thinking about upgrading my computer because it is not giving me the performance that I want from it.
Specs:
i5 8400
1660 ti (overclocked)
16gb of unknown ram (previously a prebuilt)
240gbWD Black Nvme m.2 SSD
2tb HDD
Gigabyte B360M DS3H

I have 400-500 dollars to upgrade and I cannot decide if i should go with the Ryzen 5 3600, New Mobo, and new ram, or if I should skip it and go with a new GPU and ram. I'm quite new to the PC building group and I do not know what is being bottle necked. If i could get some help I could make an easy decision. I am trying to hit a mostly constant 144 fps on mid to high settings (low is fine for some games) and I play mostly monster hunter world, apex legends, and quake champions.

Solution
Hold your horses

Without knowing the issue, it might be futile to simply upgrade. DDR4 is still pretty expensive and the cpu you are upgrading is a small increase

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3939vs4040 (Assuming cpu benchmark didnt inflate the intel score, i forgot )

Please add in your gaming setup ( eg screen res, game settings, the more specific the better)

I personally do not play those games so idk whether they are cpu or gpu heavy

from research apex seems to be gpu heavy.

Lets run some tests. Either by launching task manager and monitoring cpu and gpu usage when gaming / your favourite monitoring software. Do let us know the usages.

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hold your horses

Without knowing the issue, it might be futile to simply upgrade. DDR4 is still pretty expensive and the cpu you are upgrading is a small increase

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3939vs4040 (Assuming cpu benchmark didnt inflate the intel score, i forgot )

Please add in your gaming setup ( eg screen res, game settings, the more specific the better)

I personally do not play those games so idk whether they are cpu or gpu heavy

from research apex seems to be gpu heavy.

Lets run some tests. Either by launching task manager and monitoring cpu and gpu usage when gaming / your favourite monitoring software. Do let us know the usages.

Solution