Need help deciding on a new monitor

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
After I've upgraded just about everything else to my computer, I think it's about time I get a better monitor.

Right now I have a dual monitor setup, but I'm not looking to replace both. One is an Acer and the other is an Asus, both were ordered when I initially built my PC in 2011. I use the Asus as my main monitor right now for when I play games or watch videos. The Acer I will use to watch some movies on if I'm playing a game on the other one or to keep a reference image open if I'm editing something.

The main game I play on PC is Counter Strike, but other than that I mainly watch movies or I do video editing and graphic design for fun. Based on that would it be worth getting a 1440p monitor? The graphics card im using right now is a GTX 770 if that makes any difference.

I'm open to any suggestions and thank you for your help/input.

Solution
It is mostly a matter of preference between those tow monitors. I was originally split between those two and I decided to go for the Asus.

The main differences between the two are:
-The Dell has an IPS panel which gives more vivid color whereas the Asus is PLS and has a less light bleed in general than an IPS giving you darker blacks and higher contrast.
-The Dell has a USB hub which can be very useful for some people

The Asus would in my opinion be a better buy.
The Dell is about $150 more. Just decide on if those features are worth the extra cost.

Also found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBmBC73rSo4

Hope that helps

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Would anyone recommend the QNIX brand? Looking around those have gotten some good reviews. What about this Asus?

I should have mentioned that with the way I have everything setup I'll more than likely be playing console games on this also.

ElvenValkyrie

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
I do recommend a 1440p monitor for the fact that overall reading text whether in game or browsing sites is a bit more readable. I actually bought the Asus monitor you showed for about $400 about a month ago. Its a good monitor nothing amazing so if you can find a Qnix one for a better price go for it. Dell was apparently also popular but also slightly more expensive. That one has a usb hub if that matters to you. I actually would have preferred it because you can buy a usb adapter for a remote control (i like the convenience of being able to turn it on and off, raise/lower volume, switch ports, when I use it for consoles and sit a good distance away).

I received mine with no dead or bright pixels the only issues I've had were with one of the cables it comes with (DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, HDMI) did not work, but i might have broken it myself. The clearance behind the monitor was one thing that annoyed me. Its a really odd angle to plug in the DisplayPort, no big deal for me since I rarely unplug it, you plug it in from the bottom instead of from the side like most tv's.

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

After thinking about it more I think I'm going to stay away from the QNIX brand. I like having more than input because I do end up switching back and forth a good bit with the current one I have. Would you say the Asus was worth the money spent? Or should I spend a little more and get something like the Dell U2713HM?

ElvenValkyrie

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
It is mostly a matter of preference between those tow monitors. I was originally split between those two and I decided to go for the Asus.

The main differences between the two are:
-The Dell has an IPS panel which gives more vivid color whereas the Asus is PLS and has a less light bleed in general than an IPS giving you darker blacks and higher contrast.
-The Dell has a USB hub which can be very useful for some people

The Asus would in my opinion be a better buy.
The Dell is about $150 more. Just decide on if those features are worth the extra cost.

Also found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBmBC73rSo4

Hope that helps

Solution

laddiemawery

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Thank you for the video, it helped my decision a lot.

I think I'm going to go with the Dell for the move vivid colors. It'll come in more useful when I edit or watch movies. The monitor is also around $520 on Amazon. The hover hound chrome extension helped find the cheapest price.