[SOLVED] Need help deciding on the right laptop

Aug 16, 2021
Suggestions and advice needed ❤

Hey I'm looking for a gaming/multitasking/photo editing/streaming on twitch laptop and was considering the helios 300 with the 17 inch screen, but I'm not sure if it's the right one, or what tech i need in it... to put it blunt I know nothing about computers and don't wanna spend up to $4000 on a laptop and get the wrong one, I have seen reviews and looked them up but none of it makes sense to me. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated 🙏😊

LAPTOP QUESTIONNAIRE

Total budget

At most $4000 Canada

Are you open to refurbs/used?

Needs to be new please

How would you prioritize form factor (ultrabook, 2-in-1, etc.), build quality, performance, and battery life?

Not sure how to answer this...

How important is weight and thinness to you?

Doesn't matter

Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.

17inch if possible

Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.

Yes to all and I'm still looking at the programs I will need

If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?

-hunie pop, hell girls, among us,dragonfabel, adventure quest, visual novels, flash games, puzzle games, maple story, gonna try open world gaming to (These are just examples, might play shooters like bro force)

Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?

Doesn't matter I'm looking for a solid system that will do what I need it to do without having to get a new one in a year, looking for something that lasts everyday continuous use please

I also need it for photo/video editing and streaming(also I watch alot of movies on my laptop(not sure if that matters)), so I'm looking for something I can buy once that will do everything without shutting down lol and I need a big screen because my eyesight sucks but I could work with a 16 inch

Solution
I'd look at some used workstations from Dell and HP as they will typically come with big high-res displays with strong gpus. They were made for professional level cad work and what not for businesses so they were built to be seriously reliable and high performance. They were never intended to be for gamers because no gamerzlamerz would have paid that much for them when they were new, but once they're off-lease and used, they can be a serious bargain even when compared to a new gaming laptop.

I have two of these beasts for work, not gaming and am rocking 32GB of memory on one with a 17" 1080p screen and will be configuring my newest one the same way. And between the two of them and all the upgrades I don't think I've even spent $700...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Helios 300 would seem to fit the requirements nicely, at least a more moderately fully loaded one.

For streaming/video editing you will want some memory overhead, so 32GB is good. You'll also want a decent CPU, so a high end i7/i9 will cover things there. And then for games, the faster the GPU the better. If they are offering RTX 3060 and above. That should cover things. GPU can also be used for video encoding/compression.

Might be a few business class laptops out there, but they generally have cheaper screens and don't often put in enough heatsink for the CPU/GPU, or omit the GPU entirely.

I'd look at some used workstations from Dell and HP as they will typically come with big high-res displays with strong gpus. They were made for professional level cad work and what not for businesses so they were built to be seriously reliable and high performance. They were never intended to be for gamers because no gamerzlamerz would have paid that much for them when they were new, but once they're off-lease and used, they can be a serious bargain even when compared to a new gaming laptop.

I have two of these beasts for work, not gaming and am rocking 32GB of memory on one with a 17" 1080p screen and will be configuring my newest one the same way. And between the two of them and all the upgrades I don't think I've even spent $700. Keep in mind these are older machines, but if you spent even $2k on a used machine like this it should have much better value than a new 'gamer' one.

Hope this helps and post back with what you bought as I'd be curious. :)

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was looking recently for someone else. There are some 9th and 10th gen mobile workstations with Quadro T2000 pretty regularly, though still quite expensive. Not sure I can fully recommend anything older at this point. Ryzen are too new to really have any worthwhile used options.