[SOLVED] Need help determining BIOS version and if I need to update

Jun 6, 2021
I've got a MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX) motherboard. I am having trouble getting a new video card to work with it. My current guess as to why is potentially the BIOS is not supporting the card correctly, so I'd like to make sure I have the latest version of the BIOS. Obviously, the first step is to figure out what BIOS version I have currently. Surprisingly this has been difficult. I'm getting conflicting information from different places. Here's what I have:

1. Looking at the BIOS version in the windows "System Information" panel. It says AMI v25.1. This jives with information in the BIOS itself.

2. When I run the official MSI Live Update tool, it tells me I have BIOS version P.10

3. In an attempt to reconcile this, I checked the MSI website to see what the latest BIOS version should be. It says the latest version is P.1

I'm guessing MSI packages the AMI BIOS into their own BIOS version and this is where the P.xx comes from. This seems like a reasonable assumption, but based on the conflicting info on what P.xx version I do and/or should have I am questioning this assumption. I obviously don't want to update the BIOS if I don't have to, or try to update it using the wrong version.

Anyone have an idea about what's going on here? and how I can figure out what the latest version of the BIOS is?

Solution
I've got a MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX) motherboard. I am having trouble getting a new video card to work with it. My current guess as to why is potentially the BIOS is not supporting the card correctly, so I'd like to make sure I have the latest version of the BIOS. Obviously, the first step is to figure out what BIOS version I have currently. Surprisingly this has been difficult. I'm getting conflicting information from different places. Here's what I have:

1. Looking at the BIOS version in the windows "System Information" panel. It says AMI v25.1. This jives with information in the BIOS itself.

2. When I run the official MSI Live Update tool, it tells me I have BIOS version P.10

3. In an attempt to reconcile this, I checked...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to use CPU-Z and look through Mainboard's tab, BIOS version to tell you what you onboard. As for your assumption, if there was indeed a version P2.50 for the BIOS, then it'd have been listed on MSI's support site. I know MSI are bad in terms of support but they aren't that bad. Make and model of your PSU? Age of the PSU in use? Make and model of the GPU you're trying to work with?

3. In an attempt to reconcile this, I checked the MSI website to see what the latest BIOS version should be. It says the latest version is P.1

I'm guessing MSI packages the AMI BIOS into their own BIOS version and this is where the P.xx comes from. This seems like a reasonable assumption, but based on the conflicting info on what P.xx version I do and/or should have I am questioning this assumption. I obviously don't want to update the BIOS if I don't have to, or try to update it using the wrong version.

Anyone have an idea about what's going on here? and how I can figure out what the latest version of the BIOS is?
If you download the p.1 bios and look at the text file it shows 25.1.
Makers do that number swapping stuff just to mess with your head.

Solution