[SOLVED] Need Help Diagnosing BSODs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 7, 2020
I've been getting BSODs on a pretty frequent basis on my PC running Windows 10, usually about one a day, but sometimes several over the course of the day (I use my computer just about all day long). Today I got three blue screens in the course of about 20 minutes, so I figured it was about time I made some sort of post to get some help diagnosing what the hell is wrong with it.

I've been creating a list of the stop codes I've been getting, which include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (most common one, it seems)

KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL

KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION

ATTEMPTED_TO_WRITE_READONLY_MEMORY

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

probably a lot more that I've forgotten to write down

I've googled each of the stop codes and most of them just say to update drivers/BIOS, or that it's a RAM issue. I updated every driver on my PC, made sure my BIOS was updated to the latest version, still blue screens. I ran memtest86 with the RAM that I was using and it gave me some errors, so naturally I was lead to believe that the problem was with the RAM. I bought new RAM (listed below) and now I'm getting what seems like more blue screens than before. I'm absolutely clueless as to what the problem is at this point, and it's seriously making me upset. I'm willing to add any additional information I need to for this to get solved, because I'm willing to bet this isn't enough information for a full diagnosis. Any pointers or ideas as to what the issue might be would be immensely helpful, though. Also, apologies if this post is a bit unorganized or not up to par, I'm not much of a forum guru.

Hardware:
MSI B450 Tomahawk
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia RTX 2060

Solution
I was using Small Memory Dumps as per request earlier in the thread. I can turn on Automatic Memory Dumps and rerun the program when I get some more blue screens.

I can't say I know much about blue screens, but I'm not sure why the boot drive would be causing them. It's a Samsung 860 Evo that I just bought new in August.

Checked the new uploads and they are both referencing the same error code while pointing to the same source file.

A drive being relatively new (whether its a HDD, SATA SSD, or NVMe SSD), has nothing to do with whether it will fail. I had a Corsair drive fail on me about a week in. Had an issue with the controller on the drive that was preventing the drive from being detected consistently. Swapped it out and...
May 7, 2020
I was using Small Memory Dumps as per request earlier in the thread. I can turn on Automatic Memory Dumps and rerun the program when I get some more blue screens.

I can't say I know much about blue screens, but I'm not sure why the boot drive would be causing them. It's a Samsung 860 Evo that I just bought new in August.

zx128k

Reputable
Did you do a clean reinstall of windows after you replace the RAM. The old RAM kit could have corrupted the drivers on your system. So the issue could continue after replacing the RAM.

Also new RAM means a new run of memtest86 to make sure it works. Replacing the memory kit won't fix a motherboard or memory controller issue.

With memtest you need to run 8 full passes all consecutively. You should boot to memtest from a cd-rom drive or USB stick.

Last edited:

Checked the new uploads and they are both referencing the same error code while pointing to the same source file.

A drive being relatively new (whether its a HDD, SATA SSD, or NVMe SSD), has nothing to do with whether it will fail. I had a Corsair drive fail on me about a week in. Had an issue with the controller on the drive that was preventing the drive from being detected consistently. Swapped it out and the new unit works fine. When drives fail, they don't always fail catastrophically.

My other Samsung drives (along with another Corsair in a different product line) are still running just fine. Any one of them could fail at any time. All I can really do is have a backup done and ready to restore from should the need arise.

Also, to zx128k's point, I would suggest backing up anything you need on the drive, grab a flash drive (8GB or larger) and set up a fresh copy of the Windows 10 1909 installer (noticed you're running 1903 from the bluescreen dump files). Install a fresh copy of Win 10. If you continue to get bluescreens, swap in another drive and run a new install. If the bluescreens then stop, you have your answer.

Solution