Question Need help diagosing problem upgrading GPU on old prebuilt HP

Dec 17, 2019
PC: HP P7 1120
Mobo: carmel 2 (intel)
Cpu: i3 2130 3.4 ghz
PSU: 500w 80+ cert (upgraded)
Windows 10

I tried installing 2 different GPUs: Sapphire R9 270 and RX 560, the system doesn't recognize either card although the fans spin.

The bios seems to be legacy only although there is an option to "run uefi application" (but this does nothing when selected). I go to run>Msinfo32 on and it shows legacy mode for the mobo.

The options I came up with are:

1. Get a legacy enabled GPU like a gtx 600 series or hd7000 series.
  2. Swap the motherboard for a uefi enabled one.

I am considering purchasing a second hand dell pc that I believe has a uefi mobo, the inspiron 660 ,that has an i3 2nd or 3rd gen, but I actually like the HP case, will I run into any compatibility issues dropping in that dell board into the HP case? The HP has the multi card reader and built in wifi, sound usb in the front.

Or should I just buy an old gtx 660 maybe? And sell off the GPUs I have now. What would you do and why?

There are many new GPUs that are legacy compatible. You don't have to ge retro to get one. My MSIGTX1060 is running in an old Dell Optiplex 380 LGA775. I've had a ZOTAC GTX1050 in there also.Dell has been UEFI since the Opti 780 though. Legacy GPUs can run on UEFI computers in Legacy Compatability Mode. Secure Boot needs to be disabled also.
You may need to install the old/onboard GPU.
1- Create a System restore Point in System Tools.
2- In Safe Mode (F8) remove the old GPU drivers.
3- Swap GPU and in Safe Mode install new GPU drivers. Some will need Windows to install but it will run at the Safe Mode resolution to do so.
If it doesn't work see#1.