Question Need help figuring out what's wrong with my rtx 3070 ti (nvlddmkm error)

srdjanmax

Commendable
Jan 4, 2022
Hello everyone,

I have a PC with EVGA rtx 3070 ti graphics card. The PC has two identical SSDs. I do my backups by cloning my entire drive to the second SSD. So if the working SSD fails, the system boots from the second SSD.

Long story short, I'm on a Dev channel of the windows insider program. New Dev channel builds don't support Windows Mixed Reality, and I do have a WMR headset. So I have to do clean windows install to get out of the insider program and continue using my WMR headset. So I did a clean Win 11 install on one of the SSDs. The problem is my 3070 ti doesn't function properly with the new windows 11 install. Every few seconds I get a nvlddmkm error ("...nvlddmkm can not be found...") along with the display warning, "display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I have attached a picture of the event viewer showing the errors. This starts as soon as the Win 11 boots and the login window appears. Every few seconds the PC freezes. Then it works for a few seconds, then it freezes again ... This repeats constantly, which renders the PC unusable. I can somehow go into the device manager, rollback the driver to microsoft basic display adapter. With the basic display adapter the errors do not occur and I can use the computer.

So, I have two windows 11 bootable drives in my PC. In the old windows 11 (dev channel) the 3070 ti works without any issues. In the new windows 11 installation the system keeps freezing every few seconds due to this nvlddmkm display issue. So in terms of solutions, I tried many things without success. The ones that I remember are listed below:
  • It can't be the BIOS, because the BIOS is identical for both win 11 installation
  • Likewise, it can't be the RAM or PSU
  • I thought maybe the drivers are the issue. But I tried the same driver version on the new win 11 and it did not make any difference (DDU, clean install, etc. makes not difference).
  • I also tried plugging in the 3070 ti in a different PC (I have a second PC with RTX 3070), and the nvlddmkm error started happening in this PC as well
  • Enable user permissions to full control nvlddmkm.sys did not help
  • Changing TdrDelay did not help
  • Disabling fast startup, it was not enabled in the first place so no help here
  • Disabled Hardware Acceleration makes no difference
  • Reducing core & memory clock did not help
I have no clue why my 3070 ti works in one windows 11 installation and doesn't work in the other two. I remember having this problem 2-3 years ago and I was able to change something in win 11 to make it work. But for the love of God I can't remember what I did. So I need help figuring out how to make this card work in the fresh win 11 installation. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I can go into both win 11 installations (new and old dev channel), compare the setting, try to figure out what's different and make the changes in the fresh win 11 installation to make the card work again with NVIDIA drivers.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you for any suggestions.

need-help-figuring-out-whats-wrong-with-my-rtx-3070-ti-v0-dvwj3mesa8pd1.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
If you have two identical drives, why not disconnect one of the drives and see if that removes the issue. You should also be able to narrow down which drive with the OS has a corruption or bug on.

It can't be the BIOS, because the BIOS is identical for both win 11 installation
If you're using one motherboard(besides two SSD's and 2 OSes on said SSD's) then yes it's one BIOS. Speaking of which, please pass on your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I thought maybe the drivers are the issue. But I tried the same driver version on the new win 11 and it did not make any difference (DDU, clean install, etc. makes not difference).
You're advised to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually reinstall with the latest driver sourced from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command(sans a reboot). Did you perform this step on both OS drives?

Found this upon some digging. Further reading;
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1888930/discussions/0/6197556602754617056/?ctp=4