Need help finalizing a 1800$ gaming PC

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
So... I use the forums around here all the time... Long time member.
Can't restore my old email and therefore my old account, so I'm back with a new account.

I'm a long time builder, and in the past 8 months I've been helping numerous friends arrange a custom build for themselves and this got me thinking....
I'm eager to get a new build myself since my Asus G53JW is starting to show signs of death (I may be exaggerating, but still).

Most of the workload is going to be 1080p gaming (mainstream, recent & upcoming titles) on high/ultra (minimum 40 fps is an absolutely great gaming experience IMO), and I assume that Amazon would be my store of choice for all or most of my build. I'd like this to be as cheap and hassle free as possible, as well as paying the import tax up front if possible.
My price point is anywhere between 1500-1800 USD, including shipping and any import charges that apply (shipping to Israel).
I've got some of the build set, but I feel you guys may help me choose a few better options, or correct any mistakes I might have made on the way.

So here's what I have already picked (or think of picking) and a detailed explanation about every pick:

Green - only option. can't change my mind.
Blue - not sure yet
Red - clueless

CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [BX80646I54690K]
Haswell refresh, Devil's Canyon. Unlocked multiplier, improved TIM, great value for gaming IMO.
Didn't go for an i7 simply because I don't use the computer for intensive work nowadays, so that would be a waste of money.

CPU Cooler
Optional:
NZXT Kraken X61 [RL-KRX61-01]
I want an affordable, silent dual 120/140 rad setup. PWM fans only. RGB LED would be awesome as a bonus!

Motherboard
I'm lost around here. Z97 only.
I need a few things to name:
at least 6 SATA3 ports (Intel controller)
support raid 1 & 10
at least 3 PWM fan headers (1x cpu, 2x sys)
SLI/CFX support (don't care for 3way/4way)
[strike]at least 2 front USB 3.0/3.1 (=1 USB 3.0/3.1 header)[/strike]
decent audio codec (1150/892 is fine)
dual bios and/or dr.debug are nice bonuses
color scheme is less important to me than functionality, though it would be awesome if you guys could help me match the mobo theme to the other components (aiming for black/blue, black/cyan, white/blue, white/cyan).

RAM
G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 [F3-1600C9D-16GAB]
Quality & reliability from g.skill. Great timings, standard voltage (instead of going 1.6V and beyond which stresses the controller).
I don't see any reason to pay more for higher clock ram with worse timing.
Also, XMP is not really needed here, as these sticks default to 1600 MHz, 9-9-9-24.

Storage
At least a decent SSD with a decent+ controller. I was thinking 2x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) in RAID 1. This is on my mind because just by looking at the improvements over the 840 I think It's worth it.
If you can suggest a cheaper yet extremely reliable SSD, please do so.

==
Data:
WD Re 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM [WD1003FBYZ]
4x of these. RAID 10. Speed & reliability.
Still thinking whether I should go this route, or just get 2x and RAID 1 (I have a strong urge to backup everything, all the time)
I chose the enterprise versions because It's reliability, performance and it's the most "hardware RAID ready" if you can call it that... Also, I don't like to change my storage that often. I'd like to just set up my RAID configuration and forget about it for a couple of years. The reason I want a strong HDD for "secondary" storage or "data" storage is because I have important stuff that needs fast read/write speeds. WD blacks or blues just won't cut it.

GPU
Either:
Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 [GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD]
Gigabyte GTX 980 Gaming G1 [GV-N980G1 GAMING-4GD]
Recently there was a nice price drop for both of these. I recommended a friend to get the GTX 970, or even invest in a 980 if he can afford cutting a bit from the rest of his build. He got a 980 by MSI and he's loving every moment of it.
I'm torn since I don't want my performance to start sagging 1 year ahead of purchase, yet I don't know if the price premium for the 980 is worth the not-so-big performance increase. Thinking of SLI in 2 to 3 years.

Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe [PH-ES614L_BK]
Beautiful: LEDs, window, overall design. Functional: space, dust filters, PWM fan hub, Velcros.
As I see it, a case for years ahead. Big plus here are the dust filters and the PWM fan hub as I would've bought em' anyway.

PSU
Corsair AX860 [CP-9020044-**]
Pretty popular, affordable. Fanless Mode (low load). Need someone to confirm this has an EU version (I'm assuming it does).
EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850 [220-P2-0850-X1]
Quality Super Flower unit. Hybrid fan.
EVGA SuperNOVA PS 1000 [220-PS-1000-V1]
Silent & pretty cheap for a quality 1000w 80+p. Seasonic build as far as I know. Hybrid fan.

Thanks,
AttractiveSnail

^^^ getting only 8GB now, and 8GB later either means getting 2x4GB now and trying to find 2x4GB later and then possibly loosing dual channel, or running 1x8GB now and trying to find a match later. I rather MAX my RAM at the start and get a matched set from the get go than trying to mix and match later.

If you can, get the best GPU you can afford. Every new game that comes out are more and more demanding. Thinking SLI'ing 3 years down the road, doesn't take into account that trying to find a decently priced 970 3 years down the road will be next to impossible. It's hard to find 7xx series NVidia's now, nevermind people who have 6xx and thought they would SLI a couple years down the road. As with RAM, I rather SLI/Crossfire two of the same cards bought at the same time or close to it so clock speeds, memory, everything is the same.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

I see this as a wrong approach, and @getochkn explains it perfectly:
My thoughts exactly, except the SLI issue. I believe the maximum amount of time I would wait before going SLI would be around 2 years. I'm pretty sure I could still find a new 970/980 to buy by then, and I would probably settle for a 2nd hand if new is scarce.
Also, there's a good amount of positive hype around dx12 supporting exotic SLI/CFX configs: mixing nv gpus with amd gpus and even different architecture nv gpus together. I'm not 100% counting on this, but this would be a good surprise down the road.

A bit too pricey for my build, I think.

v1tesse

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
I suggest checking this list out - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2383187/motherboard-tier-list-z97-chipset.html

From what I can see, both regarding the features and color scheme with the RAM modules you chose, I'd check out the ASRock Z97 Extreme6/3.1, for example.

Depending on what prices you find for the components, going for the 2 850 EVOs, only 2 HDDs in RAID 1 (for now), that motherboard and the GTX 980, coupled with the Corsair AX860 (don't go for the AX860i by mistake - that's made by Flextronics AFAIK, which makes it rubbish) would keep your build as close to $1800 as possible.

Also, a GTX 980 is more future proof and leaves more room before you really need to SLI, performance-wise, which saves you from the future headache of having to deal with games that aren't optimized for it. And even if/when you decide to get a second card, most games that work decently with SLI, generally have 2 cards in mind, so 2x GTX 980 would be much better than 2x GTX 970.

It would take 3 GTX 970 to get close to 2 GTX 980s and then you run into other problems ($1000 SLI Gaming Showdown - 3 GTX 970s vs 2 GTX 980s).

As far as the CPU cooler is concerned, here is some more information - Closed Loop AIO Liquid Coolers: 14-way Mega Roundup Review.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
One of my first picks was the Z97 Extreme4. For a fact, I know Asrock mobos are cheap yet reliable and have recommended them to friends for years, But here is what got me off all Z97 Asrocks.
Can anyone confirm a newer revision mobo or a BIOS update solved this issue? Or does it still exist?
I use wifi exclusively. Would you recommend an onboard solution, or an aftermarket card?

Agree.

Will never go for 3way/4way SLI/CFX.
Know the law of diminishing returns?

That's pretty much inconclusive.
I'm going to OC for sure so I just want a silent PWM fans AIO cooler. Is the X61 unworthy?
I don't care for 2-3C difference If I get the profit in 3-4 decibels. I'll replace the fans if I have to.
Aren't there any rad+pump roundups (slapping the same fans on all of them)?

v1tesse

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
It's a good thing you know about the problem then. I wasn't aware of ASRocks having this problem. I generally go with Asus anyway.
Speaking of Asus, another board that would meet your criteria, but is a little more expensive would be the ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1, keeping your need for WiFi in mind.

I think the onboard solution should be sufficient. Using a 5GHz router would be recommended either way.

I wasn't suggesting you should go for a 3-4 way SLI, just pointing out the advantages of a GTX 980 from the get go.

AFAIK the Kraken X61 has generally received very good reviews, although I've seen one person complain about buzzing sounds when the fans are at very low or very high RPM (which I think is just a defective product - it happens).
I've had more experience with air coolers, so I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what you should do regarding this.

What I care about is general sturdiness, reliability and acceptable noise levels, which for me might mean something totally different than what you want. That's why I provided the link to some comparisons.

Either way, here is some more info about the X61 - NZXT Kraken X61 280mm AIO CPU Cooler Review.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

Seems like an almost perfect fit! Only problem I have with this board is the lack of 6x SATA controlled by the intel chip. ASMedia SATA controller would mean less bandwidth and storage drives only. Even if I were to fill all 4x intel SATA ports with 2x SSD (Raid 1) & 2x HDD (Raid 1), Could I connect an optical drive to the ASMedia controlled SATA port?

Thank you very much for that comparison. I've done an extensive research all day long and found the "pump rattle" to be a common problem, but the solution is no more than switching off a power saving/power management feature in the bios, which I'm really glad for.
I'll continue researching tomorrow and post an update about a few parts I'm certain will end up in the build.

v1tesse

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Good catch. Reading more carefully, I can see that problem now. Besides, if you ever go back to your original plan of having 2xSSD and 4xHDD, then you would really need at least 7 SATA ports.

Unfortunately, for having such specific requirements, the choices are more limited.
Another option would be the eATX MSI Z97 XPOWER AC, with 10 SATA ports and included AC wireless, but no USB 3.1.
Being eATX, though, you have plenty of room to get an add-in card if/when you really need it. Here is a review. Just make sure you install the second VGA when/if you will do it, in the right slot, as the speeds differ, according to the installation order/slots (this applies to all SLI configurations), as you may very well know already.

You could always get a motherboard without the integrated WiFi, but that will fit in more with your desired color scheme, like EVGA Z97 Classified.

Let us know what you end up picking.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015

Are there any less pricey mobos?
Forget USB3. 7x intel SATA3, 2x SLI/CFX support, optional: wifi n/ac

On another note, I've set my mind on EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 and a GTX 980. I'm just banging my head against the wall trying to figure which 980 make to get: EVGA, GB or MSI? I'm leaning towards quiet more than performance. Also would this fan curve be good for ANY quiet setup?: 10%@35C, 40%@50C 100%@80C

v1tesse

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just buy the ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than what you could technically buy, but it has everything you need and the quality is what really matters in the long run.

As for your earlier remark regarding the ASMedia SATA storage-only controller, I've given it some more thought - why don't you just pair the two HDDs in RAID 1 using the ASMedia controller (from what I gather, it is indeed a bit slower, but it should be more than enough for 2 HDDs, especially in RAID 1), use the Intel one for the two SSDs, and plug the optical drive into one of the remaining Intel-controlled slots?

Good for you. It's a great PSU. I'd probably still choose the Corsair one, because:
1 - 860W is more than enough for 2x GTX 980 in SLI, and at least with one GPU it won't be that much of an overkill and lose some efficiency;
2 - it's slightly cheaper;
3 - it's smaller. There's a 40mm (1.575 inches) length/depth difference, which might make it a little easier to do cable management/cooling (granted, in the case you chose, it's not going to be that much of a problem, but still).

Doing some general research online, I've seen that the EVGA cards have quite a bad rep for 9xx cards - some say they have misaligned coolers, some general noise etc.
The GB version is reliable, runs quite cool and performs very well, but still makes a little bit of noticeable noise.
The MSI version is generally the favorite, because of it's great build quality, good cooling system and for the fact that in idle, the cooler fan turns completely off (it's a new feature with Maxwell cards but that not every manufacturer has implemented AFAIK).

This is the one I recommend - MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G and here is why - noise review - it's part of a very in depth review which I recommend reading in full to get the entire picture regarding that card.

If you are referring to the GPU, it's silent at idle and the MSI one is, according to that review, at 30 dB even in full load which is very quiet, so I think the default fan curve is not worth messing with.
For anything else (like the CPU), you should tweak the settings gradually and see what feels (hears?) right. I know ASUS has a good cooler tweaking tool (for their motherboards) for quite fine on-the-fly control.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I've decided going 1000W since I want this build to be quiet as possible. Taking a beefier PSU than needed makes it work less hard for the same load, which means I'll be getting theefficient sweet spot and silent operation!

I can see why you recommend MSI. Actually my friend owns a MSI GTX 980 and is very pleased. I questioned him a about the noise and temps hes been getting. Pretty solid card. If the 980 G1 was just quieter under full load I would definitely grab it over the MSI, though.

AttractiveSnail

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Okay, so.. I can update you guys on my recent list:
CPU Intel i5 4690K
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61
GPU MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
RAM G.Skill Ares 16GB(2x8GB) 1600MHz CL9 1.5V (9-9-9-24)
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD Western Digital Re 1TB
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

My store(s) of choice would probably be Amazon and/or NCIX (I've already verified parts availability). It's just a bummer that some known PC stores I would buy from don't ship internationally.

As you can see, I'm lacking a motherboard AND I've exceeded my budget so I'm going to have to save up for a month or two before I can even place an order. I've stepped off RAID which means I no longer need additional SATA ports.
I won't be able to sit and pick anything in the following week, though I'll update once I find something that satisfies my needs.