[SOLVED] Need help finding a replacement modem for one provided by ISP

Kieran Menon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
My ISP [ Imagine Broadband, Ireland ] provided a Gemtek WVRTM-130ACN modem/router that is proving to be incredibly unreliable. Trying to find a better modem to set into bridge mode to connect with my TP-Link Archer C5400X Router.

Can anyone recommend a replacement, that also has a VOIP phone port for a house phone? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Can you plug your pc directly into the cable going to the outdoor LTE. If it works directly then your tplink should just work. If it does not then it is going to be hard since you need to figure out what special function the ISP router has on its wan port.

Most these VoIP things have setting you must make to connect to the ISP phone network. There is no way to say if any other device will work. I know the ones that are on cable modems you can only use modems provided by the ISP. What might work assuming the TPLINK works connected to the outdoor LTE is you can plug the ISP router into one of the lan ports on your tplink and use the ISP router purely for VoIP. All depends on how they make this work. You might have to...
That is a odd device, many of the search results came up with links to how to hack that router.

From what I can tell the wan port is a standard ethernet port. That generally means there is another device acting as a modem before it. The wan can't really be ethernet coming from the ISP because it can only go 100 meters.

What kind of wire comes into the house from the ISP.

The VoIP is going to make this hard. Who provides the telephone service, your ISP? It tends to be cheaper to do this yourself. Magicjack was one of the very common ways to do this. There are many similar devices and then you buy a monthly VoIP phone service. These will work on any router so it make your router selection easier. I have not looked at this in years since almost everyone has just gone to cell phones.

Kieran Menon

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
It's an LTE wireless setup to an outdoor antenna. The cable from the antenna is plugged into the WAN port of the Modem/Router.

The VoIP thing is free with the service, just nice to have a house phone as an alternative to mobile while at home.

Can you plug your pc directly into the cable going to the outdoor LTE. If it works directly then your tplink should just work. If it does not then it is going to be hard since you need to figure out what special function the ISP router has on its wan port.

Most these VoIP things have setting you must make to connect to the ISP phone network. There is no way to say if any other device will work. I know the ones that are on cable modems you can only use modems provided by the ISP. What might work assuming the TPLINK works connected to the outdoor LTE is you can plug the ISP router into one of the lan ports on your tplink and use the ISP router purely for VoIP. All depends on how they make this work. You might have to do some port forwarding.

What is the problem you have with the ISP router. If it is wifi you could maybe turn off the wifi radios in the ISP router and use your tplink as a AP.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Aug 12, 2021
HI,
For what it's worth, I also want to keep my home phone but my ISP will only provide voip service which means connecting my phone to their router....I also want to use my own router, (Linksys EA9500) but that does not have voip ports. My ISP router has bridge mode and they don't have any problem if I put their modem in bridge and connect to my own router. However when I do that the voip line drops off even though the bridge connection works perfectly. They really won't get involved once you switch to bridge mode.
I contemplated using a ATA through my Linksys but my ISP won't or can't give me voip settings for the ATA.
I don't know of any other router with voip ports that will connect automatically to ISP settings.
My solution was, Connect ISP router lan port to my router wan port, disable ISP wireless and DCHP and let my own router do the work. I continue to connect my phone to ISP voip port and all works.
My preference would be to have my own router with voip ports that can connect automatically to ISP. If anyone knows of one>>>>>>>
Thanks
Bill