Question Need help finding replacement parts for old unit

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Hello all, I just got home from Florida visiting relatives and I managed to find this on the way home. Came with a free Windows XP install disk too.
AGV_vUdvEv7JM7CRWOtKwJt6RjBzxd2avpkfRD3hdw_WJ_V0Cl9tLcSqhNKyfYb-n0tY-cngmwbRMVeehiiBxVz68Ihcf67lS6H20qX5QnMynHZHvHmhqH-eku7zZVW0fA_62fuJzeJYjea3W6TUtrtTbXKveTHAKpIo=nw

Got it for cheap compared to some others for sale on the internet, sadly mine isn't as nice as the others.

I need to get a new foot which I think I have taken care of.
I need to find a diagram of where the internal front panel LED's go since all of the adhesive is gone.
I need a power supply bracket to use a normal ATX PSU.
I need a few hard drive caddies seeing as I have none.
I need to find out the fan mounting specs since I want to basically make a wind tunnel with the extra mounts.
I do need to figure out what screws to use on the front door, and find keys for it, and fix the tabs on the side latch cover.
Also being able to find second USB header for the front USB hub would be nice, I still need to look if I have a spare.
It would be nice to do some touch-up on the side panels but I'm not sure how to do so.

I was thinking about using the other Alienware unit that I have and transferring the components to this case, or I was thinking about moving my main system into it as well, also could just keep it stock but I don't know where I could get any parts units for it or simply just parts.

If anyone has better ideas let me know.

Reactions: stonecarver
If anyone has better ideas let me know
with all of the fixes this thing seems to require i'd probably just leave it as a side project for now until you can find a vendor offering some of the necessities for proper component installations.

from the available images this thing doesn't appear to have good options for airflow so cooling a modern system, especially any sort of gaming system, may be difficult to setup.

if it turns into too much of a hassle to fix it up, i'd probably just install some basic lower end components and keep it as an HTPC for some basic TV computing/media center use.

if you can find an actual make & model of this case it will be a lot of help in determining what replacement parts & mods it would need for modern use.

also include your complete system specs, with make & model of all components, for whatever system you would be planning on installing into it.

Reactions: MajorPager

Lutfij

Titan
I had to go Google image search;
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/alienware-aurora-star-wars-edition
That prebuilt looks like it will accept an ATX PSU.

I need a few hard drive caddies seeing as I have none.
Ebay is your friend.

I need to find a diagram of where the internal front panel LED's go since all of the adhesive is gone
You might want to pass on the model for the motherboard in your prebuilt.

I will do some looking but I might be on the slower side depending on the heat today. Yesterday about an hour away was hitting 124 so we were hitting just over 110.

Nice find by the way. My son bought one of those but in burnt orange color nowhere like you S/W Darth Vader again nice find.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Finally got done with some house work, got some pictures.
AGV_vUdYHfR-v6oMvGrz9zRmY4uiF2t9tWWcBSwdiIwGKsZ0t__paE9CwJGCX4ps7yFxPa9WGOaFhhXf_OkGPQspQIOQNtYEBmvKUcrAUtHb3Oz-pWIaEqXFHsEZe9SFD5b5108YWbCZQ6UH0O7mGc1aMv7p4_I9auwL=nw

Forgot to mention the board in it still works, also ignore the blue font I had accidentally used a bad video cable I forgot to throw away.
AGV_vUd2H3Wa9Auso-_YSb8hl6T2vT4KumSKT2eVUYx9wTbrLuUTqFPsAPR20pzMLvxZHGGv23QS9lMl8ysmI9c5UnnLxoBRBq7cW6dN0GSnn-YJ2LRCzYO3U0iowcj6MnuQhSjY9hHc2KQAEWmVNG5EG5LNpZVF0Mw=nw
AGV_vUcyoiqt-zx9h9JIQ7hzWsXj5dSmPR5f635gk12qHOGaYmqjMAxO2fTTg-2qpZTsxbowjtuRHicnv4oGg6yfvQB91TYroT2LWdRPV07DB93WxPIn8kh1BZWB9GwpW53AHrDc5lMaeCLT0IPLWp-VnfhHEvoQloEp=nw

This is why I need to find a bracket for the PSU I'll look for a replacement one for the newer unit I have since it looks like it would work. Also a close-up of the rear tag.
AGV_vUdbM1dPaIHVf5ql7d9eV8HmIDn78xiRclq3mfP8DeA2Afnld_Ni6QaxCx8crQ394z9t4sag379qI9Q8369G97Gi16xRBEK5Ov8YNqZ3p754GNVb0Jg96M-xT8d-NwhIJ85QlzoZr19-oTQOhM643bqBJKiat5g=nw
AGV_vUc9jKz378XA2jB3qrbKscO31ctatD52kStEnd6coREb4rovI5P6NL15c2ZqH8a9AWmJ2T4c2dc-ncm97DyFPVQT4pF5nyoIAhTcW0VhvVV7S-Q3VeWTstzC24DZO3IiBlt_zzUiRW5f8PrWgMiytdtYNLcyp4s=nw

Here are the loose lights in the front of the case and front door.
AGV_vUf-9u9H-H15E06W5sbxYTisVGwgE7ziF63Y8DU02WUw-DUV1bYG6O3HmkRvBGiWuUoVGdkrsbs3TOoVD9_UUS5l5GckHhUW6m-P44MFdN1lsiPqXVIRAjHwqy_G4ACC6jJ8ZL_-Lvj2LCIvGLp2ydSyrvjnvt8A=nw

Last photo of the inside of the unit with the messy wiring job I did earlier. Much cleaner too.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
with all of the fixes this thing seems to require i'd probably just leave it as a side project for now until you can find a vendor offering some of the necessities for proper component installations.

from the available images this thing doesn't appear to have good options for airflow so cooling a modern system, especially any sort of gaming system, may be difficult to setup.
Yeah just need some time and some parts. Even with bad airflow it shouldn't be too bad to manage.
I will do some looking but I might be on the slower side depending on the heat today. Yesterday about an hour away was hitting 124 so we were hitting just over 110.
The heat has really been bad lately everywhere, at least it gets cooler during the nights.
Nice find by the way. My son bought one of those but in burnt orange color nowhere like you S/W Darth Vader again nice find.
I've seen the orange color before and it doesn't look too bad. And I never mentioned this, but I was just looking around FB marketplace just to see if there was anything and noticed it, got it for only $85, a lot cheaper than the ones on eBay right now.
The only semi cool part of this is the Alien case. And then, only the outside part.

All else, junk.

What would I do?
Remove the side and front panels, and glom them on to a current era case.
I agree on that. What I want to do is get one of the ALX units and put the side doors on it, reason why is because I think it has a roof vent for more airflow, although it's hard to find out since I can't find any inside pictures for it.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Looking for that power supply bracket is like looking for a hen with teeth. You would have to drill 4 holes for the wings on the bracket to screw down to rear of case.

I did try looking for the actual Alienware OEM but as of now still looking.
Yeah, I'll probably just have to use a makeshift one until I find a cheap parts unit, if I can.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
I'm not sure if you listed it but what GPU lottery did it come with. When I do there vintage rigs the fun part for me is what GPU I have to work with.
This unit came with an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB. I think I have a newer version of this card sitting around somewhere. I should test to see if this card has any issues on an OS like the last one did.
"makeshift" is rarely a good idea when power supplies are involved.
Indeed, but an external bracket shouldn't hurt anything, keyword being "shouldn't."

Reactions: stonecarver

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Got finished with transferring over my main components. Looks quite good!
AGV_vUctE1ztpEm4NokwB7Szs7y-WOk3hAV2_O7QbRGo2HCWhDp8XxNfGn9q2qbmyPn0c9jgCOqO-Ycbhi28yhD56I7RZOK6omDQsR7wObpAEjGXa5qRrTfW-ug-Iu3-km5YkFjKFDkGaHCqAFJ10M3NH9MI1rrTZ5I=nw

Noticed that one of the RAM clips got flicked down. Did put up some extra LEDs and fixed the front LEDs too.
AGV_vUdnChsCQFxbHNTNI3H9wP_OrlIoZ5Z84zzUGdpyAZe8Zptkm9HujHR4bJgwNMN0tQACVbhYp8CmSBS5Jc5sEexvbBkf6_9lSb3vZmiC77tDbcr8YJsgBMhbE1qiJ7NZQjA64MuS5TUYw48fHuLsFSV4iVOM6zc=nw

Also moved some of the stickers over and mounted the front door panel.

There are still the problems of no working USBs or multimedia reader, missing drive plate, no power LED, the misaligned front door LED, missing I/O shield, no keys, broken side panel latch cover, no hard drive caddies, no PSU panel, missing rear foot, and that pesky RAM clip on the inside.

Also forgot to mention the weird purple colored side panel fan, don't know why it's here but it is.

Now I just need to find this unit to have the perfect duo. I even have blue LEDs for this too!
AGV_vUfeXF2Rd6q_b28_-brH-wpL12-_9BI--QXHdyLPOaq3oAwwBoPKAb3sH_CH1jJiARHmJs6V0PhdmlXrD214P_1SPwzcN6T8_kyGatP7s4Nwoyc9BZmeqxdE-SvisNIYb_aFHAMXa_bdTsL2u2UdwlmcbQkUnxnM=nw

TRENDING THREADS