[SOLVED] Need Help Fixing Laptop Hinge Covers

Phanixis

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I recently installed a M.2 Drive on my MSI GL62M 7RXD Laptop. This installation mostly without any problems or difficulties, save one. When I reassembled the laptop after installing the drive, the two parts of the plastic case on either side of the monitor that cover the monitor hinges were cracked open. It looks like there is a tab inside the crack but I cannot for the life of me get these to sections of the case to snap closed again. Does anyone know what could have caused this or how to snap the plastic casing around the hinges back closed?

Thanks for the help.

Note that I would include pictures but I cannot seem to find an image host that is compatible with these forums. Please recommend an image host if you want me to post some pictures of the problem.

Solution
Cracked open? Do you mean to say that the part is actually broken? Sounds like you snapped off the plastic tabs that hold the screen bezel in place, or if they are still intact they are not aligned with the receptacle that they are supposed to mate with. Maybe look at this video and tell us at which point in time we can see the part you're having a problem with? Looks like you're talking about those half-round bumps at the bottom of the bezel, yeah? Removal is around 4:40 and replacement is around the 15:50 mark.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDV11Yusjtc&t=6s
imgur.com is compatible. Actually, ANY image hosting site is compatible, you just have to know how to do it properly.

Cracked open? Do you mean to say that the part is actually broken? Sounds like you snapped off the plastic tabs that hold the screen bezel in place, or if they are still intact they are not aligned with the receptacle that they are supposed to mate with. Maybe look at this video and tell us at which point in time we can see the part you're having a problem with? Looks like you're talking about those half-round bumps at the bottom of the bezel, yeah? Removal is around 4:40 and replacement is around the 15:50 mark.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDV11Yusjtc&t=6s

Solution

Phanixis

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Ok, I obviously need some pictures. Let me see if I can follow the tutorial Darkbreeze posted:

You can see the cracks on either side of the laptop casing, right in line with the red stripe along the back of the device. Do note that the laptop functions perfectly fine, this is at the moment cosmetic damage. Still, I would like to snap those plastic enclosures shut if possible.

Unfortunately I think the only way you are going to either fix this, or figure out that it isn't fixable, is by taking it back apart at least far enough to get back to the point where that portion of the case is uncovered again. I'd look for maybe having put a tiny screw in under something that should have went in OVER something, or for the broken tabs as mentioned. In any case, I don't see much of any way to fix this cosmetic issue without at least a partial tear down. If you know, or suspect firmly, that the tabs are damaged, then you may just have to live with it or look for a replacement part used on Ebay or elsewhere. Fortunately there are usually plenty of broke down laptops out there that are commonly offered up for parts.

Phanixis

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
I might need to take it apart. The one thing I don't understand is that the part I was previously working on was the bottom half of the laptop, while these hinge casings are attached to the upper half of the laptop along with the screen. I am not certain what I could have even done to get those hinges to crack the way they did.

Laptops are complicated. Even for those of us who regularly work on them. We can't actually "walk" you through them any better than videos you've already seen. If you didn't see the fix in any of those,then there is likely not one. That's juist the way it is with these devices.

We can fix them sometimes, if we are willing to say hell with your stuff, but most often if you can't get a device working within the confine of the manufacturers constrruct, then probably something has failed.

Phanixis

Honorable
Mar 1, 2015
Ok, I was able to fix this problem. I managed to get a relatively small flat-head screw driver and press the lone tabs that were present within both of the crack towards the front of the machine. This required a bit more pressure than I was comfortable with, but I was able to get both of these cracks to snap back together by depressing these tabs. The machine runs fine afterward so I don't think I broke anything. I now consider this problem solved.