[SOLVED] Need help for SFF build

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I am looking to build a sff system (around 12" deep.) I was going to do this build awhile back but was so difficult to find a graphics card that'd fit in a case that size I ended up getting a used optiplex 3010 sff; and it's worked fine for what I needed it to do--stream videos and basic browsing etc. But my child is getting a bit older and I like him to be able to play games out here; I set up Steam, went with goat simulator that he has familiarity with and it's great, so now need to upgrade to something with a graphics card, any suggestions for a decent budget build using a case that can lay flat on shelf and be about 12" deep? (the shelf is 16" so needs some space behind for plugs.) Thanks so much, I got frustrated before and for $75 figured the dell would hold me over until...well now.

Solution
OP hasn't stated a budget but asked for a build. My response to threads like that is always to ask/establish Country and Budget since no meaningful discussions can happen before budget is established.

Is there a height restriction on the shelf also?

Silverstone SG13 = $54

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've built a couple sff systems and you have to start with the case. this dictates everything else about the build.

i like this series of cases frm cooler master

https://www.newegg.com/midnight-black-cooler-master-elite-110-mini-itx-tower/p/N82E16811119299

they can fit a full size psu and gpu still have room for good airflow. there are a couple different models with various options. it does get packed real quick but a simple low profile cpu cooler and an average gpu will easily fit. it has room for water cooling if you wish to go that way. a fully modular psu is a must to keep cables to a minimum.

and it's less than 12" deep and uses mini-itx boards.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my guess is the amd v intel sidetracking turned him off and he decided to try again. keep that debate in the other thread and we can work on a good value sff system here.

best bet to not get sidetracked is to post your build, give its pros and cons and then move on. if the OP has more questions he will ask :)

let him ask a couple then decide what to chose and then we're all happy. but avoid the endless debate of which company is better as they both have pros and cons and are valid choices for many uses.

at this point he's only asked about a case, which is what i offered based on my experience.