Question NEED HELP!! frames go from 180 to low 60s in seconds.

Jan 29, 2022
Most of my games drop frames heavily out of nowhere, if i have my GeForce performance overlay up my framerate and my 99% framerate have a 80-100 frame difference. i experience stutters and complete freezes sometimes no matter the game no matter the graphical settings (low or high doesn't make a big difference only lessens the stutters a tiny bit). i belive it is cpu related but i am not sure. PLEASE HELP. i am tired of having stutters in every game i want a buttery smooth experience.

Device name DESKTOP-ACT5GU4
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable) DDR4 3200
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
GPU 3070

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Is this an off the shelf system?

Motherboard?
Power supply?
CPU cooler?
Chassis?
Fans?

First thing to look for is temperature. CPU and GPU temperatures and clock speeds. If you see high temperatures and low clock speeds, you have a cooling problem. That could mean you just need more airflow, or your heatsink is inadequate. Most GPUs will have sufficient cooling on their own, but that means nothing if they don't have access to cool air and a way for the heat to escape the system.

Next would be power related issues. 11700F shouldn't be too bad, but an RTX3070 is a 220W GPU, stock. It can draw as much as 400W temporarily. So if the computer is equipped with something less than a 650W gold rated power supply, that might be worth looking into.

Reactions: Aidany02
Jan 29, 2022
Is this an off the shelf system?

Motherboard?
Power supply?
CPU cooler?
Chassis?
Fans?

First thing to look for is temperature. CPU and GPU temperatures and clock speeds. If you see high temperatures and low clock speeds, you have a cooling problem. That could mean you just need more airflow, or your heatsink is inadequate. Most GPUs will have sufficient cooling on their own, but that means nothing if they don't have access to cool air and a way for the heat to escape the system.

Next would be power related issues. 11700F shouldn't be too bad, but an RTX3070 is a 220W GPU, stock. It can draw as much as 400W temporarily. So if the computer is equipped with something less than a 650W gold rated power supply, that might be worth looking into.
To be honest most of the parts are pulled from a prebuilt, i put a Aio in my system a new case for better air flow and another ssd. all the other parts are from a pre built.
I dont know if this will help but i just benchmarked it.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53567609
Here is the prebuilt i pulled parts from
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...070-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd/6455823.p?skuId=6455823

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like you have mismatched memory, which could easily be the source of the problem. What speed do you have all that running at?

OEM motherboards don't take well to mixing memory, and you have limited memory settings options.

And there is something funky with one of your system drives. Don't have an Optane plus a hard drive or the like? Or are you using software RAID through Windows?

Jan 29, 2022
Looks like you have mismatched memory, which could easily be the source of the problem. What speed do you have all that running at?

OEM motherboards don't take well to mixing memory, and you have limited memory settings options.

And there is something funky with one of your system drives. Don't have an Optane plus a hard drive or the like? Or are you using software RAID through Windows?
Im sorry i dont understand what u mean do u mean the two ssd's or the ram?

Jan 29, 2022
To start yes, but verifying the speed is important. OEM systems don't often allow XMP profiles, so it may be defaulting to the slowest speed.
I have xmp on, the prebuilt ram seems to be weird in BIOS is only appears as 2200mhz but in windows it appears as 3200mhz. The ram i bought is corsair vengance RGB PRO and that is at 3200mhz.

Jan 29, 2022
It would be the sub-timings that will get you in trouble here. If one set of memory is happy with say 18-20-20-44 and your new memory runs at 16-18-18-38 or something, well, that could be the source of your problems. Recoverable memory errors.
so i should just remove the two sticks of prebuilt or do i also need to go into bios and do something?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You should do that, and go into the BIOS to see what options you have. Mixing memory isn't as easy as it used to be. DDR4 has reached quite high frequencies, so the timings become even more important. DDR5, at least these early boards, have trouble even running in pairs at high speed.

If this clears up your problems, you can maybe try to buy another set of the same memory, if you really want 32GB. (though 4 sticks also can have trouble at high speeds) Or buy a 2x16GB kit.

Jan 29, 2022
You should do that, and go into the BIOS to see what options you have. Mixing memory isn't as easy as it used to be. DDR4 has reached quite high frequencies, so the timings become even more important. DDR5, at least these early boards, have trouble even running in pairs at high speed.

If this clears up your problems, you can maybe try to buy another set of the same memory, if you really want 32GB. (though 4 sticks also can have trouble at high speeds) Or buy a 2x16GB kit.
ok ill keep u updated i should get to it within a hour or so, Thank you for your help so far!

Jan 29, 2022

i pulled out the prebuilt ram and it seems to be running a little bit better but the margin between my FPS and my 99% fps is still big. im going to upload pictures in a second.

Jan 29, 2022
That looks fairly normal for 1% lows which is what I think they mean by 99%. Always going to be something that will make it a little slower, basically averaging the lowest 1% to get that number.
But there’s still some stutters (less than before) no matter the game/graphics settings. Could it be cpu related? My temps are fine

Jan 29, 2022
Ok it’s the motherboard from that pre built link, I’m not sure the name. Even though my 99%fps is low I still hit that a lot like sometimes in a matter of seconds my frames will go from 180 to 120 when a lot isn’t happening on the screen.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard does have a name, it is either printed on it, or you can pull the information from the system with software.

dxdiag from Windows will do. Should give you ASUSTek and then some model number for the board.

Most prebuilts will not have good VRMs or heatsinks, so if the CPU pulls all it can, it might power throttle it. Or they've set limits in the BIOS. ASUS isn't usually that bad about these things, since they use their own retail parts for the most part.

It would highly depend on the game, what you have running, your drive speeds, etc. Could be as simple as load in stutters of assets, or poorly optimized game code.

Jan 29, 2022
The motherboard does have a name, it is either printed on it, or you can pull the information from the system with software.

dxdiag from Windows will do. Should give you ASUSTek and then some model number for the board.

Most prebuilts will not have good VRMs or heatsinks, so if the CPU pulls all it can, it might power throttle it. Or they've set limits in the BIOS. ASUS isn't usually that bad about these things, since they use their own retail parts for the most part.

It would highly depend on the game, what you have running, your drive speeds, etc. Could be as simple as load in stutters of assets, or poorly optimized game code.
I’ll look into the motherboard name, could under volting my gpu help?

Jan 29, 2022
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/29/2022, 16:44:43
Machine name: DESKTOP-ACT5GU4
Machine Id: {EAF4341B-E098-44A5-8FEB-CA9F49125160}
Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22000) (22000.co_release.210604-1628)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: ROG Strix G15CE_G15CE
BIOS: G15CE.205 (type: UEFI)
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz (16 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16216MB RAM
Page File: 12966MB used, 9182MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.2.2
DxDiag Version: 10.00.22000.0653 64bit Unicode

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Doubtful, unless it is overheating or the clocks are lower than what they should be. Your userbenchmark test seemed to go pretty well.

Motherboard is this one:

Which is more than fine.

Jan 29, 2022
Doubtful, unless it is overheating or the clocks are lower than what they should be. Your userbenchmark test seemed to go pretty well.

Motherboard is this one:

Which is more than fine.
is it possible it is overclocked or anything like that? my frequency stays at 4788.28mhz constantly.