need help from microsoft on USB to serial ?

mark

I have an application that is using an InfraRed transmitter.
The transmitter is connected to USB port on my XP machine.
When after reboot the application is searching for the device it is
finding it on Com4 as it was originally installed.

Now when I start the application and application is starting to use the

device.
After while, the port4 becomes unavailable as I see from the message.
I close the application.
Check with Task Manager to insure there is no processes running to see
if port is being used.

Start application again. It can not use the port.
Message "Port unavailable" pops up again.

I move USB cable to another USB port.
Start application again. Make it search for port.
It finds the port.
Move cable again to old USB prt.
Make application search for port again.
It finds it now in old place.
For several iterations I can work, but then
port becomes unavailable again.

Anything I can do, instead of physically moving the cable back and
forth?

subject:usb to serial problem? port is not released "Com4 is
unavailable"
microsoft.public.windowsxp.har­dware

Ibrahim

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005

I've had a similiar problem and I've found a tip.
Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware Tab>Device Manager? Universal
Serial Bus Controllers> Go to all the ones entitled " USB Root Hub"> Right
click one> Properties> Power Managment Tabs> Uncheck "Allow the computer to
turn off this device to save power."
This makes sure the computer doesn't turn off the ports.
-Ibrahim