[SOLVED] Need help getting all 6 GPUs working on an MSI x470 Gaming Plus Max ?

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
So I'm on to like my third mining rig and up until now I have been using Intel, and using the exact same set up except for one rig where I have a motherboard specifically for the 3060s. Anyways so I decided to build my next rig this time using AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and mining with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

So far I have been able to get three cards going. Two Nvidia cards and one AMD. It will recognize all the cards if I only install three, no matter which three it will recognize them.
But if I install more than three it will not recognize them in device manager. The fans turn on and everything so they are getting power.

I have changed all the bios settings that I am aware of, these including 4G decoding, crypto mining, PCI i.e. link speeds (I have tried Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 but to no avail).I have tried turning both on and off CSM, but no change either way. I am unaware of any other settings to adjust.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
3400g means that the 2nd pcie3x16 does not work. All 8 pcie lanes from the CPU get allocated to the 1st pcie3x16 slot.
If you have an NVME drive install then you lose the pcie2x16 slot. All 4 lanes of that slot get allocated to the M2 socket instead.
That leaves you 3 pcie2x1 slots.

The 3600 cpu has 16 lanes of PCIE4
This means :
  1. Both of the pcie3x16 slots will work now.
  2. I did not research if your MSI motherboard has received the bios update to enable pcie4 or if it will downshift the cpu lanes to pcie3 speed.
  3. You're still stuck with pcie2 speeds on the other slots as well as losing the pcie2x16 slot if you have an nvme SSD drive installed.

Your boards specs...

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
Did you investigate the boards specs & limitations before building?
I ask because it sounds like a lack of PCIE lanes to me but I haven't looked.
I am still pretty new when it comes to figuring out how many lanes a motherboard/CPU can handle and how exactly that correlates with PCi.e. lanes. How would I check that out?
The 3400 G is actually a used CPU that I purchased because all of my rig equipment arrived way earlier than expected except the processor was gonna take a week, didn't want to miss out on any hash rates so I found a deal on this CPU. My actual processor that I was going to install is a Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse.

Would that change anything or is the 3600 still not good enough? All your answers are really welcomed! I'm a disabled miner, paralyzed from the neck down, so everything is done with the help of a caregiver And the communities out there! Thanks again

Edit: I found a Reddit post online about two years old stating that they were running 8 GPU's and another one where they were running 6 GPU's,

Last edited:

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019
3400g has only 8x lanes, 8 are blocked for internal use.
So it has nothing to do with the motherboard? The previous user posted something about PCIE lanes?I am also waiting on my actual CPU that I ordered for this rig which is a Ryzen 5 3600 Matisse. Will that the CPU be okay? What about the motherboard lanes? How would I even find out that information?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm a paralyzed miner, so everything is done with the help of a caregiver and you guys in the community out there. Thank you!

popatim

Titan
3400g means that the 2nd pcie3x16 does not work. All 8 pcie lanes from the CPU get allocated to the 1st pcie3x16 slot.
If you have an NVME drive install then you lose the pcie2x16 slot. All 4 lanes of that slot get allocated to the M2 socket instead.

This means :
  2. I did not research if your MSI motherboard has received the bios update to enable pcie4 or if it will downshift the cpu lanes to pcie3 speed.
  3. You're still stuck with pcie2 speeds on the other slots as well as losing the pcie2x16 slot if you have an nvme SSD drive installed.

Your boards specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/Specification
Your boards downloads: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

Reactions: Frenchy19951
Solution

Frenchy19951

Commendable
May 27, 2019

This means :
Your boards specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/Specification
Your boards downloads: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

Thank you so much for the information, you are exactly correct. Also another user on another site had the same answers, I feel stupid as this is not my first rig I built and I was not aware of this issue that would rise. So quick update:

I Installed 3600 and I am now able to see all my five cards. My power supply only had four PCIe cables, and I was using a cable from a separate brand-name power supply and it was not showing my Vega 64. I happen to have the exact same power supply that I used for this rig on another rig and I had a couple cables left over so I used one of those cables and voilà, I could see the card.

The only issue I have right now:
I can no longer see the logo or the boot menu/bios menu/flash option when turning on my rig. I only get video to the screen once it gets to the login for Windows. I had that issue a couple of times and switching HDMI to a second screen fix the problem, but not now I am unable to get video signal when in the bios, I know I'm in the bios because I tap F11 as its starting up and I can tell that it loads into the bios menu, but no output. What could this be? I'm not really complaining though as all bios settings have been set for mining.

My next question would be:
Will I be able to get a sixth GPU working with my setup? I do have a NVM E SSD installed which I will now replace along with all my other rigs. I currently have one rig working with six GPU's on a AsusZ390 – P Prime but it was giving me trouble in the beginning but now is working well. It's been a couple of months also no issues.

Thanks again for all your help ! You guys are a great community!

Jan 20, 2022
you can turn the logo back on under the boot settings in bios, it's probably disabled, you just have to turn the logo to auto,. I myself am trying to get 8 gpu's on the msi gaming plus mobo, with a ryzen 5600x. i got 7 but not 8 yet. also upgraded to 32 gb ram to no avail. i tried 4/5/and 7 way pcie splitters also with no luck on the 8th, ran two of the 4 way splitters and the system starts to act flakey lol.