NEED HELP! Hardware reserve memory causing programs to shut down due to low memory.

bigman3213

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Here is the story. (and yes, I looked at every post in the world about this and still no answer... I even asked my mobo manufacturer)
I recently installed a new GPU after just using integrated from the A10 7870k
Once that happened, I gained hardware reserve memory, which was around 6GB.
Went into the bios and turned off the shared memory with my integrated r7 graphics. Now the hardware reserve is 4.3GB and so I have 3.7GB available...
Problem is, I can't run most of my programs with so little memory.. If I am going to have 8GB of memory, why not use all or most?

So I kept reading posts and noticed that this is the motherboards compatibility with the brand I own. I have a gigabyte A88x mini wifi mobo and I have been using it even before I put in the new gpu and my memory is Corsair 2x8gb Vengeance Pro 1866mhz.

So does anyone have any idea how I can fix this issues? Because im just completely lost.

Also, I checked the memory sticks and they are secure and in place (haven't touched them in a while, but hey? why not check).

A response would be great!
Thanks, Jesse

Solution
I see your problem.

And with a A10 7870k hardware reservation of memory blocks is going to happen.
As you know it has a Gpu embedded into the die package as well as the cpu with an A10 chip.

The problem is, or can be down to what Pci-e based graphics card you choose to replace the A10 solution.

With lower end graphics cards with very little memory fitted on board the card it`s self you find they also implement hardware reservation of system memory.

Where as higher end GPU based graphics cards in the model range have more memory fitted, and do not implement hardware reservation of system memory.

Ati coined hardware system memory reservation for there graphics cards as Hyper memory.

So may I ask what Pci-e based card, brand and...
I see your problem.

And with a A10 7870k hardware reservation of memory blocks is going to happen.
As you know it has a Gpu embedded into the die package as well as the cpu with an A10 chip.

The problem is, or can be down to what Pci-e based graphics card you choose to replace the A10 solution.

With lower end graphics cards with very little memory fitted on board the card it`s self you find they also implement hardware reservation of system memory.

Where as higher end GPU based graphics cards in the model range have more memory fitted, and do not implement hardware reservation of system memory.

Ati coined hardware system memory reservation for there graphics cards as Hyper memory.

So may I ask what Pci-e based card, brand and model number you bought ? and how much memory it has on board of the graphics card. First of all.

Roughly speaking the more memory a Pci-e based graphics card has the less likely it will use hardware system memory reservation techniques.

Now this may work, or it may not.
But in windows, and the search bar type: msconfig.

On the search result shown left click on msconfig to run it.
Click on the advanced tab.

You will see the box that says max memory.
Tick it.
An put in the total value of system memory you have.

For 16 Gb of system memory it will be : 16384.
Click apply then ok.
restart the system.

Check memory usage and reservation.

NB: When the value is lower for overall system memory in the max memory setting.

It is what windows has access to, you are limiting the amount of physical memory windows can see and access.

If it was checked with a value set, then you can remove the value and the tick from the max memory check box then apply.

Left blank and unticked should let windows use as much physical memory fitted to the system it can detect and see.

Solution