Need help. Here's the entire story. Failures lead to rebuild and the same failures!

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Hi there,

I have posted a few individual questions but now I will summarize and try to figure out what is gong on here.

Here is the story..... Got home last week from a trip. Fired up the PC... logitech mouse and keyboard were not working. windows loaded just fine. I have had intermittent issues with the front case usb in the past, so I tried one of the mobo usb's..... same issue.

Tried a reset and windows would no longer load. lots of trouble shooting led me to believe the mobo was fried. took the opportunity to do some upgrading. New mobo, new cpu, new ram. case, psu, gpu, cpu cooler, ssd all remained. SSD was formatted and new windows freshly installed - Win 10 Pro 64

Now, I am experiencing the same exact issues!! I am now using a basic usb keyboard and mouse. if they are connected, windows doesnt load. if they are disconnected, windows loads just fine.

Once windows load, I can connect the usb mouse and keyboard and things function. however, I had lots of trouble installing drivers, etc because with all of the restarts, if the keyboard and mouse were connected, it would hand and not load.

I am 14 years into building PC's and this one has got me stuck!!!

i7-6700k NEW
Asus Z170 Deluxe NEW
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 16gb) NEW
Asus GTX 1080 Strix EXISTING
Corsair HX850i EXISTING
Corsair H75 cooler EXISTING
Samsung 850 1TB SSD EXISTING

Could it be my PSU? I have already tried my old 512GB SSD and have the same issues.

HELP!

hiyabusared

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Have you checked on the fact the USB panel is causing a short? Another thing is your using a usb key and mouse, have you checked to see if its trying to load windows booting from usb first then your hdd/ssd? One thing I would say is have you tried bench starting your new board and such outside the case using the paper clip method? Reason for this is I am wondering if perhaps the case is causing the main issue.

I've never experienced anything like that, but there are a few things I would try. First thing I would do is make sure I have the latest Bios. Next I would go into the Bios and experiment with some of the settings, such as disabling C6/C7 sleep states and Legacy USB support. In the Device Manager, make sure you have no yellow flags. In your Power Plan, I would also disable the Selective Suspend under USB settings.

avi8tir

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Will check my boot sequence when I am back from work. This is something I have messed around with as it wouldnt boot from the windows CD initially to install windows. However, I cant believe the default would be to boot from usb. strange again.

As well, I have thought of the USB panel causing a short... looks like I'll be benching the setup afterall.... should have done it first!