[SOLVED] Need help hooking up two C3000Z modem/routers - not working too well

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
Ok, so I ran an ethernet cable as far as I could go into a back room that has very poor coverage, this after trying to use a booster which failed. My current C3000Z router/modem has the ethernet cable plugged into an ethernet port (not the lan/wan port) and is also transmitting in 2 and 5 g wireless. The second C3000Z router/modem has the TV, android box and security HDR plugged into the ethernet ports and the internet ethernet cable also plugs into one of the ethernet ports (not lan or wan port). The second modem/router is set to transparent bridging so no wifi from that modem/router. All seems to work very well, except Im noticing that the wifi is creeping I mean slow as snail poop in sub zero winter. Its also kicking the internet off and on, whats gives? Did I not set it up correctly? Thanks for the help.

Solution
You need to change the IP address to one in the same network subnet not a different one. So if you main router uses 192.168.1.1 use 192.168.1.200 for the second one. You actually want a IP outside the DHCP range on the first router but since you likely don't have 200 devices it will never get that high anyway.
Why did not you enable the wifi on the second router....wasn't that part of the reason you ran the long cable to get better wifi in the remote room.

You want to run the second router as a AP which maybe what transparent bridge mode means.

I also assume you mean you plugged a cable between a lan port on both routers. What you must do in addition is make sure the DHCP server is off. This likely is done automatically by the transparent bridge mode option. You also need to make sure the second router has a different lan ip address than the first router.

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks. I wanted to use wifi on the second router, but I was actually able to get the ethernet cable far enough into the house that I used the second C3000Z as a "hub" to connect the 3 devices that needed the direct signal, which as mentioned is the TV, android box, and HDR camera.

So to use the second router as a "hub" I need to set the IP to static and something different than the primary which is dynamic? Thanks.

Also, I plugged the ethernet cable in the LAN port on the primary router and then connected it to the non lan port, just ethernet port on the second router. Is that not correct? Should it be Lan port on primary to lan port on secondary?

It depends on the second router. When you put them in bridge/ap mode it converts the wan port into a extra lan port in effect. For a router that does not have this feature....like a router that has a DSL wan port...you use a lan port. The LAN-LAN method works on any router.

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks I plugged the ethernet cable into the WAN/LAN port on the primary and the secondary. Using the ethernet ports as the connections for the devices on the secondary router. I placed the second router in bridge mode and the wifi disappeared which is fine. How do I access this second router via the network? It doesnt look like its possible. I did chnange the address on the second router to 192.168.100.1 but that does not seem to help as the device does not show up on the table within the primary router. Thanks again.

Other than that, everything seems to work. now.

You need to change the IP address to one in the same network subnet not a different one. So if you main router uses 192.168.1.1 use 192.168.1.200 for the second one. You actually want a IP outside the DHCP range on the first router but since you likely don't have 200 devices it will never get that high anyway.

Solution