[SOLVED] Need help identifying the reason for bottlenecked GPU

Mar 28, 2021
Hey everyone,
I recently got my hands on a Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 OC 8GB and it has been working okay in that time. Most games i play run at around 100 FPS and some lighter games at my preferred 144 FPS. Now the issue I got, is that my favourite game Destiny 2 shows some performance i would not have expected from that GPU. I am mostly sitting at around 80 FPS, though as i switch games often, it is hard to feel satisfied with that if i also play on 144 FPS. I have been trying to identify the issue for this bottleneck for some time now, but lately i got more into it, as i played Battlefield 5 at around 60 FPS, but i would have expected more out of a 3070 at High settings. I ran a Time Spy Benchmark to see what exactly is the PerfCap reason and most of the time it is VRel, VRel & VOp and sometimes Pwr & VRel & VOp. I kinda get what all of those mean, but i am confused when they appear at once, so i would like to ask what you would say is the issue for this bottleneck is, when most of the time the reason is VRel and what i could improve to get more out of my GPU.
I also thought that my CPU could be the reason, which is a Ryzen 5 2600 so if you could consider that aswell, it would be nice. If you want a more deep look into the stats during the benchmark run, this would be the result: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/60065620 and this the GPU-Z log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1el2-nP0lp-VwFSa8W_DgT4mazoqi1lXK/view?usp=sharing

In general I would like to know, what part of my PC is bottlenecking my GPU the most and how i could improve my experience.
Thanks in advance ^^

Solution
Ryzen kind of sucked until the 3000 series and you are using relatively slow RAM so that isn't helping either when Ryzen's performance is heavily dependent on fabric clock which is itself tied to memory clock. On top of that, you are using an Nvidia GPU and Nvidia's drivers have ~20% more overhead due to Nvidia GPUs not having hardware scheduling based on results from HWUB and a few others, so you need a ~20% stronger CPU to achieve a given frame rate with Nvidia GPUs vs AMD's. In many of HWUB's charts, the RTX3090 gets beaten by an RX5700XT most of the time when paired with a Ryzen 2600X.

Nvidia's GPUs are designed for higher-end CPUs with plenty of processing power to spare.
Mar 28, 2021
What are the rest of the specs of this system?
Mainboard: Asus Prime B350-Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (not overclocked) with a beQuiet Pure Rock 2 cooler
RAM: 32GB GSkill Aegis DDR4-3200 put to 2733 MHZ
Powersupply: I don't know the name, but its 550 Watt with 80% Gold efficiency. I realised that this is not the recommended one for a 3070, so it might be this one
Main SSD: Samsung Evo 860

Mar 28, 2021
Alright, i tried lowering the CPU intensive settings a bit and it seems to run better. So I guess it has to do with the CPU. I guess i will keep it like this until i buy a better one.

InvalidError

Titan
Ryzen kind of sucked until the 3000 series and you are using relatively slow RAM so that isn't helping either when Ryzen's performance is heavily dependent on fabric clock which is itself tied to memory clock. On top of that, you are using an Nvidia GPU and Nvidia's drivers have ~20% more overhead due to Nvidia GPUs not having hardware scheduling based on results from HWUB and a few others, so you need a ~20% stronger CPU to achieve a given frame rate with Nvidia GPUs vs AMD's. In many of HWUB's charts, the RTX3090 gets beaten by an RX5700XT most of the time when paired with a Ryzen 2600X.

Nvidia's GPUs are designed for higher-end CPUs with plenty of processing power to spare.

Solution
Mar 28, 2021

Alright thank you. A better CPU should pretty much solve some of these issues. I am currently limited to the 2733 MHZ, because of my CPU, where the Memory Controller does not support anymore. Do you have any recommendations on AMD CPUs that would improve my performance by a lot, while they cost ~250 bucks?

InvalidError

Titan
Do you have any recommendations on AMD CPUs that would improve my performance by a lot, while they cost ~250 bucks?
You have a first-gen motherboard, so the best CPUs you could toss on it would be the 3000-series which are currently somewhat overpriced (or grossly overpriced compared to their lowest prices around June 2020) just like nearly everything else. The Ryzen 5600X would be a more worthwhile upgrade at the added expense of a new motherboard, so nowhere close to your $250 budget.

If you don't mind waiting, sit it out until the end of the year where supply and demand will hopefully be well on their way back to normal.

Mar 28, 2021
You have a first-gen motherboard, so the best CPUs you could toss on it would be the 3000-series which are currently somewhat overpriced (or grossly overpriced compared to their lowest prices around June 2020) just like nearly everything else. The Ryzen 5600X would be a more worthwhile upgrade at the added expense of a new motherboard, so nowhere close to your $250 budget.

If you don't mind waiting, sit it out until the end of the year where supply and demand will hopefully be well on their way back to normal.
Thank you so much for the help. Yeah I will wait until PC part prices go down a bit again and then buy an upgrade that will also serve me in the future.