[SOLVED] Need help in deciding whether to get an M.2 Heatsink.

Khulafu

Distinguished
May 22, 2013
Hi everyone, first thanks for taking some of your time to help me out.

I was gifted a 250gb Lexar NM610 m.2 ssd and I've been using this for a week now. Issue is that it's idle temp is 50-55c depending on the time of the day, and it does creep up a bit higher up to 57 on really hot days (tropical country weather). I transfer files occasionally, and I noticed through HWmonitor that the ssd reaches 75c. It concerns me as according to Lexar's website, the operating temp is as follows: 0° C to 70° C (32°F to 158°F)

I was able to check a couple of articles through google and a video of Gamers Nexus and Paul's Hardware. What i understood is that ultimately the need of a heat sink depends on what I would be using the drive for and my question isn't really answerable with a straight yes or no.
My use case for the Ssd is just for OS. No video editing or any activity that would put heavy, extended loads and as mentioned occasional file transfers. I'm really inclined to get a heatsink for the drive given our weather conditions around here.

I really would appreciate any input. Thanks again!

Solution
As you read on Lexar's website, the temperature of 57 on really hot days is not going to harm your SSD. If the SSD occasionally goes above 70° C, the drives controller will throttle down transfer speeds to lower the temperature. If you rarely put heavy, extended loads on the SSD that should not be a problem.
As you read on Lexar's website, the temperature of 57 on really hot days is not going to harm your SSD. If the SSD occasionally goes above 70° C, the drives controller will throttle down transfer speeds to lower the temperature. If you rarely put heavy, extended loads on the SSD that should not be a problem.

Solution

Khulafu

Distinguished
May 22, 2013
Thank you. I guess I'm just worrying too much about going over 70 and incidentally shortening the lifespan or killing the drive slowly.