Need help in overclocking.

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Hello guys! After running cinebench, I managed to get this data with overclocking my Core 2 Duo E6750 @3.2GHz with a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard, 4GB 800MHz Kingston RAM, a generic power supply and a stock cooler that came with the processor.

So here it is:
At stocked speed 2.66GHz
CPU = 125 cb
OpenGL = 41.06 fps
Temperature © = 44C idle, 65 max at full load

Overclocked @ 3.2GHz
CPU = 150 cb
OpenGL = 44.32 fps
Temperature © = 50C idle, 74 max at full load

So what do you think guys? Is it worth it to overclock or should I just stay as it is? Also if you would recommend me to overclock, I might get some aftermarket cooler maybe the deep cool ice blade since that's the cheapest cooler I found. And assuming I would overclock it and I buy deep cool ice blade, can I run it around 3.5GHz without running over 70C? Thank you so much guys.

Solution
Yes, below 80 you are safe. You can do or further.
I will recommend to do overclocking in bios because it needs less voltage, higher oc and if also increase the processor life comparable to oc by software. Also If you get Any manual settings and of you go for that then the oc will be unstable and will produce more heat. If you give less voltage then you will get unstable oc and if you give higher voltage then it will produce more heat and will reduce CPUs life. So it is important to find a sweet point of correct combination of frequency and voltage. To do that Just follow this Steps:
1) just enable your XMP memory profile if your memory support that.
2) increase the cpu ratio from factory settings a little(whichever smallest possible)...
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, below 80 you are safe. You can do or further.
I will recommend to do overclocking in bios because it needs less voltage, higher oc and if also increase the processor life comparable to oc by software. Also If you get Any manual settings and of you go for that then the oc will be unstable and will produce more heat. If you give less voltage then you will get unstable oc and if you give higher voltage then it will produce more heat and will reduce CPUs life. So it is important to find a sweet point of correct combination of frequency and voltage. To do that Just follow this Steps:
1) just enable your XMP memory profile if your memory support that.
2) increase the cpu ratio from factory settings a little(whichever smallest possible) and boot in your os.
3) Download cpu stress testing software prime95 and do a stress test around 20 minutes.
4) if it passes then restart and go in bios, increase a little cpu ratio again a little bit.
5) if it passes then repeat 4th method. And if it not passes then go in bios and increase the CPU voltage and again test. Just keep doing that.
6) a time will arrive when the temp will gone so high, at that time you have to stop and keep it to cool.
7) also when doing upper methods you have to keep a eye on your temps.
8) a step will arrive when prime95 will never pass or the temp will gone so high immediately when stress test started, that point you have to stop and you get the unleashed speed of your processor. You got a stable oc now. Watch temps and don't let them go above 80. Best luck :)

Solution

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

How about my RAM? I have an 800MHz kingston here without a heatspreader and I noticed that if I go higher than 400MHz (400x8 = 3.2GHz), the frequency of my RAM will increase too. I'm sorry. It's just my first time doing overclock.

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

How do I know the model of my RAM? It was used when I bought it so I don't have the case, it's just the bare memory stick. All I know is that it's a KIngstone PC2-6400 RAM. I have 3 sticks here in total. 2X1GB (the one is a smaller one compared to a "standard" size) and the other one is a 2x1GB also smaller compared to standard size ram

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

here it is. im not really sure how to check the model. sorry man. I have 3 sticks total so there are three screenshots
cXdraD.jpg

HmOWX7.jpg

lPQXVR.jpg

Feb 15, 2015
Your RAM is DDR2. Don't overclock it. Just start overclocking your cpu worth the method that I tell earlier. If BSOD or unstable oc comes then tell me. Via posting in this forum or sending me a private message. We will do some memory timing adjustments. Just don't take tension. We are always here to help you. Start overclocking your cpu now with that method. :)

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

But if I overclock my CPU greater than 3.2GHz, my RAM would overclock too. I can't make it to stay at 800MHz

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Yes my RAM increases the frequency automatically even at the BIOS. The first I overclocked, my RAM went to 900MHz. Also, I did some overclock again and my temperature just went to 67C at full load. Isn't that too low? Because I'm just using a stock cooler and I expected a 70C+

Feb 15, 2015
Okey, then just overclock your cpu and RAM will increase the ratio automatically, keep it increasing. And no Intel CPUs don't heat a lot, and the specific CPUs like Celeron, core 2 due, pentium. Your temps are good. Don't worry about that. If the temps are less than expectation then feel happy not worry. :D overclock your cpu now, if any error comes, tell me. :)

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Okay so it means it's just fine to overclock my RAM a little?hehehe thanks! I'll let you know what will happen.hehe

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Last question before I overclock. Is it okay since my RAM has no heatspreader I'm afraid it will overheat. Though I'm not planning to overclock it reaching 1066MHz.

Feb 15, 2015
RAM generally not heats a lot, especially DDR2 never. I didn't see any DDR2 RAM came with a heatsink. Manufacturer install heatsink to look the RAM cool, of course it also for absorbing heat. You should start overclock now, but after some raise in ratio, check the RAM temps by touching it's chips, their is no other method to check because RAM don't came with sensors. If it too hot to touch then shut down your pc for a while. I know this will not gonna happen.
Best luck. :)

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

I attached my memory screenshot below. I did run Prime95 just a while ago. While running Prime95, I was browsing using Google Chrome and I know Google Chrome eats a lot of memory. When you run Prime95 is it necessary to close all opened application? Because while doing these both tasks at the same time, I experienced BSOD. Any recommendation? Also, I only have a 1GB GPU installed with my EP45-UD3L motherboard right now but in dxdiag, it shows I have an approximate memory of 2802 MB. How can I fix that?
ZEQtik.jpg

Feb 15, 2015
Don't run any application when test is going on. You must watch your temps and cpu usage. You can listen music.
See your cpu usage in task manager. When test is running, if the CPU usage jumps to something from 100% it means one core or both cores failed the test. That time you need to increase the voltage.
And which gpu do you have? Check it in CPU-Z. :)

Dolphing Kujog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014

Oh I see. In my task manager, cpu usage always stays @ 100%, does that mean it's good? While my RAM is around 84% when I opened Google Chrome maybe 70% when Google Chrome was closed. I have here Sapphire 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 with boost. My dxdiag shows I have more than 2GB memory in my GPU which is wrong but in CPU-Z it only has a 1024MB. BTW can I overclock this GPU too? I have here MSI afterburner application.

Feb 15, 2015
I will not recommend to overclock the GPU. It will give just little bit more performance but it will reduce the life of GPU a lot, also the warranty will be void if you overclock it. Also you can overclock GIGABYTE graphics card by MSI afterburner software. Oc will be unstable.