Question Need help - MSI X399 SLI PLUS - Raid 1 issues - Windows won't boot

Jan 15, 2023
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. First I like to mention that I know very little about computer hardware, so please treat me as your grandma when explaining things..

I'm using a company workstation with MSI X399 SLI PLUS MB. I'm working from home and other members are in another city. A couple days ago when I booted up the computer I got blue screen with Stop code: Bad system config info. Since then I haven't been able to boot into Windows. Automatic repair didn't work. The computer is setup with two SSD (Samsung V-NAND 860 Pro) in Raid 1 and a regular HDD for data in Non-Raid. I like to point out that I know nothing about installing SSDs and even less so when it comes to Raid setup. When I check the discs in command prompt (Windows RE). I can still see the disks with data intact. Please see attached image. I even managed to backup the data HDD using Xcopy to USB disk. When I enter Bios I see that the Raid 1 with the SSDs have status Critical and when I look in Associated Physical Disks I only see one of the SSDs, it says removed Physical Disk on the other one. I've of course checked connections, disconnected and reconnected both disks without any change. But what is also weird the other disk that doesn't show up is available under Dedicated Hot Spare with Ready Status. Have the Disk failed? What is also weird is when I check Physical disk properties in Bios it says one of the SSDs (1TB) have 536.8MB used space. This is the one that doesn't show in the SSD Raid 1 but under Hot spare. Also the 6TB HDD that is not in the Raid 1 show the exact same used space with status Legacy! Where as the other SSD (1TB) show 0k available space, 1Tb used space and Status In Use (Please see attached image). For someone who know nothing about Raid setup and hardware in general I just find that super weird. Also if I check the disks in command prompt with a simple Dir command I get completely different available space left. By the way I also tried bootrec /scanos in command prompt and I got the answer: Total identified Windows installations: 0.

Also before I checked in Bios and was made aware of the Critical status of the Raid I also tried to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. But the installer enviroment can't find any drives and I'm told to load driver. No idea what driver that is. But since I then discovered the critical raid status I feel that needs to be fixed first before any reinstall.

So what can I do at this point? I've backed up all important data and just need to get the computer up and running ASAP. I know I most likely have to install all programs again, but I'm totally cool with that. Time is money and I just need a working computer.

From a Novice perspective here are some options that I'm considering. Do I need a new SSD for the Raid 1 and rebuild it? No idea how to do that.
Is it possible to use the SSD that's still working and reformat that somehow as a regular disk and install Windows on that? No idea how to do that.

I very much appreciate any help! Please let me know if you need any more information and/or images to be able to help.

I can't seem to insert image. But please see this link: View: https://imgur.com/a/EpS0rH6

Kind regards,
Johan

Jan 15, 2023
Thanks for your reply. It's a very small company and there's no IT department. It's basically me and 4 other guys doing 3D work. I understand that anything I do might well makes things worse. That's why I came here and hopefully get some guidance as what I can do without making things worse.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your reply. It's a very small company and there's no IT department. It's basically me and 4 other guys doing 3D work. I understand that anything I do might well makes things worse. That's why I came here and hopefully get some guidance as what I can do without making things worse.
If it were a simple drive fail in the RAID 1 array, the system would still "work", with the array in a degraded state.
Thats the whole and only benefit of a RAID 1.

All you'd need do is swap in a new drive of similar size and technology, and the array would rebuild itself.

Since the problem seems to be something else....

1. Recover the OS drive from the full drive backup that was made before this happened. However, I'm Assuming that does not exist.

2. Full OS reinstall. This involves a whole bunch of configuration that you probably do not know.
Who set this system up with the RAID 1?

Jan 15, 2023
Thanks again. When I wrote company workstation I meant that it isn't mine, but I'm borrowing it from the owner of the company. The computer used to belong to a colleague who left the company and left me with the computer to use. I guess he set up the computer with Raid 1, but haven't been able to get in contact with him to ask.

"2. Full OS reinstall. This involves a whole bunch of configuration that you probably do not know. " Yes I guess this is the option I'm considering as I have all the important data backed up from the 6TB HDD. Well aware I need to reinstall all programs I'm using. But that's not really a problem at this point. All I need is a working computer. I've contacted a couple PC repair companies and waiting to hear back. But I thought instead of sitting around doing nothing I'd write here and hopefully get some ideas what to do.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks again. When I wrote company workstation I meant that it isn't mine, but I'm borrowing it from the owner of the company. The computer used to belong to a colleague who left the company and left me with the computer to use. I guess he set up the computer with Raid 1, but haven't been able to get in contact with him to ask.

"2. Full OS reinstall. This involves a whole bunch of configuration that you probably do not know. " Yes I guess this is the option I'm considering as I have all the important data backed up from the 6TB HDD. Well aware I need to reinstall all programs I'm using. But that's not really a problem at this point. All I need is a working computer. I've contacted a couple PC repair companies and waiting to hear back. But I thought instead of sitting around doing nothing I'd write here and hopefully get some ideas what to do.
Then I would do an OS reinstall, without the RAID thing.
That is absolutely not needed.

This does, however, involve taking it apart and disconnecting all drives except the one you want the OS on.

Assuming Windows 10, this:

Jan 15, 2023
Thanks. Yes that's what I thought. Not sure though if I need to reformat the working SSD somehow to be able to install Windows on it since both the SSDs have been used for the now failed Raid 1. Or would that happen as part of the Windows installation process? Or maybe better to just get a new SSD and remove both the SSDs previosuly used for the Raid 1 setup

I'll check that link and read thru it. I'll most likely wait to hear back from the PC repair companies before I start this process. Thanks again

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. Yes that's what I thought. Not sure though if I need to reformat the working SSD somehow to be able to install Windows on it since both the SSDs have been used for the now failed Raid 1. Or would that happen as part of the Windows installation process? Or maybe better to just get a new SSD and remove both the SSDs previosuly used for the Raid 1 setup

I'll check that link and read thru it. I'll most likely wait to hear back from the PC repair companies before I start this process. Thanks again
A new SSD would work.

Or, one of the previous ones. (assuming full functionality)

When you do this install, have only ONE drive physically connected.
All others, reconnect after the OS is fully installed.

Jan 15, 2023
One last question. Not sure if I should change the "Onboard Device current mode" from Raid to AHCI in Bios before doing a clean reinstall on a new SSD? I assume yes since the new SSD won't be a Raid setup. But please confirm.

TRENDING THREADS