[SOLVED] Need help! My pc wont start at all

Angelo8

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hello guys,
Im really desperate now. I bought a new motherboard, cpu and ram few week ago, but my pc wont start.
I tried and tested everything to make it work, but nothing seems to help.
Today I even buy a new motherboard again, because I tought it can maybe be a faulty mb.
I tested my psu with a bridge, but it works.

So what can possible the problem here ?
Do I maybe need a 2x8 pin connector attached to the mb ?
Mb is the Asus rog strix z690 gaming a
Cpu is 12600k.

Solution
yeah you do need only 1 most of the time, since second one is most likelly for overclocking, but it also can happen sometimes with the right combination of psu mobo and cpu that it wont post without the second cable
could also be that PSU is done for, so i guess, try new psu or try finding an extra cpu cable.
Weird that your PSU doesnt have a second cable
Is your PC in post/boost loop when you try to turn it on? Do some lights show up when you turn it on? Do fans spin?
Anyone ??
Could be million things, you need to start from very beginning, Read and understand MB manual, Place MB outside of case, install (very carefully) CPU and it's cooler with fan(s) connected to CPU_FAN, install RAM in proper slots (see MB manual). Connect all suggested leads to PSU and MB. Something must happen when you switch PSU on, fan starting to turn and MB lights light up.
Btw. Just jumping PSU is no guarantee that it's in full working order or 100% compatible.

Angelo8

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Could be million things, you need to start from very beginning, Read and understand MB manual, Place MB outside of case, install (very carefully) CPU and it's cooler with fan(s) connected to CPU_FAN, install RAM in proper slots (see MB manual). Connect all suggested leads to PSU and MB. Something must happen when you switch PSU on, fan starting to turn and MB lights light up.
Btw. Just jumping PSU is no guarantee that it's in full working order or 100% compatible.
I did all of this and still nothing works
I tested the psu with the paperclip test, and it worked.
It is really strange.
everything I have is almost new. Cpu - Mb - ram - aio - gpu only 3 months.
Only the psu is about 5 years

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
yeah you do need only 1 most of the time, since second one is most likelly for overclocking, but it also can happen sometimes with the right combination of psu mobo and cpu that it wont post without the second cable
could also be that PSU is done for, so i guess, try new psu or try finding an extra cpu cable.
Weird that your PSU doesnt have a second cable
Is your PC in post/boost loop when you try to turn it on? Do some lights show up when you turn it on? Do fans spin?

Last edited:
Solution