Need help on Gigabyte Bios Q-Flash Utility v2.02

Aug 10, 2014
Hello Tech people

I'll be needing your great help in this issue
My motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-s3 rev 3.3 is having trouble on accessing usb drives in Q-Flash v2.02, I want to update its bios version from F9 to F14, but I cant access my usb-drive in the Q-flash menu beacause it only shows floppy drive.

When I access the Listed floppy drive it doesn't show the copied bios in it, but I know it is there cause the capacity decreased. Also when I save a backup file of the bios into the listed floppy drive(aka usb drive) I restarted the pc and opened the usb and the backup file didn't save at all (checked if its hidden but its not).

I am in desperate need of solution, I've tried reading many forums and tried so many troubleshooting but none of them worked. :(

Things done in the bios

• Enabled USB Controllers/Usb legacy support
    Formatted the USB drive into fat32

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It would seem to me that if the Q-Flash menu is referring to the USB drive as a floppy, it would try to use the floppy drive controller to access the device. Of course, that won't work. Does your BIOS boot order show the USB drive as present?

Update:
I just noticed that the BIOS download file is an .EXE file. That would indicate that it is designed to run in Win.

Aug 10, 2014
it doesnt show in the bios boot order but it shows up in the hardware checking part of the system startup.

I tried to run the (autorun.bat and spiflash.exe ) but it cant be accessed in windows 10,64-bit & it says "windows cant run this file"

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The downloaded file is a self-extracting .zip file. Simply run it to unzip the files. Then run the FLASHSPI.EXE file.
If you have already done that and Win won't execute the file, there is something wrong with the file. Try the next newest BIOS file.

Note; you might try running flashspi in a DOS window (command prompt).

Aug 10, 2014

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the help but that didn't work either :(.
Does my version of Q-Flash Utility v2.02 causes this kind of problem ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt your version of Q-Flash is the problem, since you don't use Q-Flash to run the .exe file.
If win can't run those files, there is something wrong with the files.

There are more ways to update the BIOS on a Gigabyte board other than the self-executing .exe file. (.exe files have to be run in the Win environment) Depending on what type of BIOS file you download, this should explain how.
But since the only BIOS files offered for your board are .exe files, you are limited to updating in Win I guess.