Need help on Processors

Jun 9, 2018
Hi,I have finally decided to buy a new PC which does not have a core2duo processors.Instead I found some core I5 PCs that look reasonably better.However I don't know which processor is better.Can somebody inform me of the good versions of the core I5 processor s,either my generations or name and also tell me how to differ between a bad I5 and a good I5 processor.Also to mention,what would be the integrated graphic cards for them and are they worth using rather then a AMD HD 5450? THX
PS.I am a noob at these things so please don't get too complicated

srimasis

Distinguished
Current 8th Gen i5 like i5 8400 to i5 8600k are the best ones as they have 6 cores instead of 4 cores than previous generation i5. The CPU with "k" in its name is the unlocked one which means you can increase its performance further by overclocking it.

HD5450 is very old GPU. The integrated gpu in current gen Core i5 is way faster than HD5450. For everyday tasks your integrated GPU is enough but for gaming you will need atleast a GTX750ti GPU or better.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
i5-2xxx is 2nd generation i5
i5-3xxx is the third generation i5
the first numbers in the cpu model is the generation number
the higher the 4 digit number usually the faster it is example the i3-6100 is slower than the i3-6300 which is slower than the i5-6500 all are 6th generation chips.

the integrated GPUs increase in power with the generation. all the 6th gen share the same igpu with slightly differing speeds.

Jun 9, 2018
+R_1
So a core I3 6500( I have no idea about the existence of this processor) will be better then a Core I3 6100 (same here)
Also the integrates chips can outperform a HD 5450 or not and what about gaming?