[SOLVED] Need help on PSU

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Seasonic S12III-650 650W - 80+ Bronze Certified
be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 600W - 80+ Bronze Certified

which one should I buy? Im planning to upgrade my GPU to RTX 2060, I think I need at least 600W PSU yea?

Solution
Being totally straightforward - if you do NOT have the budget for a high-quality PSU that will protect your system's components, then you do NOT have the budget for the GTX 2060.

A low-quality PSU that does not provide clean, stable power to your components, and that will NOT protect them if something goes wrong, can, upon failure, take out other components. How much are you paying for that GTX 2060? Do you want to gamble on it?

Particularly bad PSUs can be a fire hazard.

To be honest, you can probably go with a 550W PSU, if it's among the high quality models. Make SURE you put the budget for a good PSU, and buy the PSU FIRST. Whatever is left can go toward the new GPU. If you have to wait a little longer to get the GPU, then so...

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
So, around 60 euros. Seasonic S12III-650 650W should be fine since seasonic is the best of brands in terms of quality and efficiency. According to nvidia they recommend 500 watt psu for the rtx 2060 so you got a lot of ’headroom’ for overclocking but i’m not sure if you actually should do that.

I think my currency will be different with yours but these two PSU price is in my budget

Seasonic S12III-650 650W - 80+ Bronze Certified
be quiet! SYSTEM POWER U9 600W - 80+ Bronze Certified
Both those PSU's are low budget, lower quality, entry level models and are suitable for an office PC, not a gaming system. The seasonic unit you listed outsourced its production and is not made by Seasonic. If you can pay for an RTX 2060 then you should be prepared to buy a good power supply.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Both those PSU's are low budget, lower quality, entry level models and are suitable for an office PC, not a gaming system. The seasonic unit you listed outsourced its production and is not made by Seasonic. If you can pay for an RTX 2060 then you should be prepared to buy a good power supply.

DId it matter much? I use 1stPlayer cheap PSU for my GTX 1060 and no problem at all for 3 years, Im not sure what would be the difference

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
DId it matter much? I use 1stPlayer cheap PSU for my GTX 1060 and no problem at all for 3 years, Im not sure what would be the difference
Well, it does matter but as you’ve said you’re in a budget of around 60 euros. I’d would defiantly save up and buy a better power supply. If you really, really need one right now then you should be fine using it. I don’t recommend any overclocking tho.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being totally straightforward - if you do NOT have the budget for a high-quality PSU that will protect your system's components, then you do NOT have the budget for the GTX 2060.

A low-quality PSU that does not provide clean, stable power to your components, and that will NOT protect them if something goes wrong, can, upon failure, take out other components. How much are you paying for that GTX 2060? Do you want to gamble on it?

Particularly bad PSUs can be a fire hazard.

To be honest, you can probably go with a 550W PSU, if it's among the high quality models. Make SURE you put the budget for a good PSU, and buy the PSU FIRST. Whatever is left can go toward the new GPU. If you have to wait a little longer to get the GPU, then so be it.

The first link in my sig brings you to a good summary of quality vs must-avoid PSUs. That link is a MUST READ.

What country are you purchasing in?

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Seasonic is a good brand. The Focus and Prime models.
The S12II is old, and solid, but modern PCs don't draw power the same way that was done back when those were designed.
The S12III isn't actually made by Seasonic, and is utter garbage.

The Corsair CX (2017) series is the lowest quality that is recommended. If you were to go with that, I'd step up to 750W. DO NOT get the pre-2017 ones.

BUT, the CX is what you get from Corsair if none of the other Corsair models are available to you.

All this information is in the link I mentioned.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah, the Focus GX-550 is basically the new name for the Focus Gold Fully Modular 550W. That'll be a good one.

name-rule-focus.png