Need help overclocking! Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4HGZ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramrodric

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Here are my system specs

MotherBoard: GA-G41MT-S2PT
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHZ
4 gigs or ram 1600mhz 128000
Power Supply: 650W
Corsair Water cooling
(Below is the link)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

So here is my question, With this motherboard, Processor, and Cooling system.
What is the max I would be able to over-clock my processor.... with breaking my pc?

I currently have it over-clocked at 2.78GHZ Stable.
I used Prime 95 for 30 minutes and tested the system under a full load and reached a max temp of 75c (Not sure if that is to hot?) Someone please let me know if this is ok!!

If I go any higher than that it freezes.
Now I am very new to over-clocking and I did it in the (Bios) so I am not even sure if I did that right.
I have seen online that people are getting the same processor to a stable 3.2GHZ!!
But I don't know if its because they have another motherboard. or are using a different program to over-clock.
I have also heard that the amount of ram that is in a system can make a difference in over-clocking.

So here is the other part of my question, would I be better off with a really heatsink and fan combo for this overclocking or is the current "Corsair Watercooling System better?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have a Q6600 on a Hyper 212+ on my son's rig and it runs really well. You can bump it to 3.0ghz simply by flipping FSB from 266 to 333 without any voltage increase (in most instances). I've had it to 3.6 stable on watercooling, 3.4 as well, but it calls for a lot of vCore to get there. I also ran an EVGA board that allowed me to run the FSB unlinked from the RAM so I didn't always have to crank RAM.

All this will depend on what exact VID your chip is, your PSU, motherboard and RAM specs.

Weak1ings

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
You can Download AI Suite from ASUS as a well-behaving CPU overclocking tool. It required a restart Once (oddly) but it works and stays at the Overclock you set, it also will help save power if you let it.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011

eh..drop the RAM strap..
set fsb to 350
maybe give a couple notches more fsb,nb, and vcore
and that's about it for a g41 board..after you get it to 350 see how high the RAM can go and how tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.