Need help overclocking my i5 4690k

naimulz

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
I am fairly new to overclocking, my computer was built by a friend and it has a i5 4690k and a GTX 970 and is watercooled.

I gave it a try and I am doing the following:

Ring speed: 3.5ghz with normal voltage
Cpu speed: 4.5 ghz with 1.300v (Is this good or too high?)

Also this is my first post on this site so I'm sorry if i do some things wrong :)

Edit: my full specs go as this:

Case: NXT Phantom 410
GTX 970 100 ME (OC'd)
Intel i5 4690k
Corsair H60 watercool
MSI z97s sli krait edition motherboard
EVGA 750 watt power supply

Welcome!

That voltage is a little high for *4.5GHz*. If you are satisfied with 4.5GHz (I would bump it up to 4.6GHz), then slowly work your way down from 1.300V to find the lowest voltage you can run 4.5GHz (or 4.6GHz) stable, using Prime95 (v26.6) to test for stability. Once you find the lower voltage that causes a BSOD, then go back up just a little, and again test for stability.

Once you do that, you can increase your Ring speed to try and match your CPU speed. I think leaving the Ring voltage on AUTO is fine, or you can set it to 1.100-1.200V (I think).

*You forgot to mention your complete specs, including motherboard and specific cooler. :)

naimulz

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

Actually there IS another problem I need help with, I have a corsair water cooler ( I dont know which one) but the radiator fan is INSANELY loud. I think it is broken or something. I can record an audio of how loud it is if you'd like but can you tell me what I should do? (I think it's a corsair H60)

naimulz

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

You seem to know a lot about this stuff :)

Anyways, back to the forum topic.

I've tried to boost it to 4.6 ghz but it doesn't seem to work. When I loaded, it gave me a blue screen saying my PC crashed so I dropped it back to normal. Here is a screenshot of my Bios. What do you think I can do?

http://imgur.com/a/QfTp8

I know a little, but I certainly don't know it all. I'm not sure why it won't boot at 4.6GHz except that the chip just isn't up for it at that voltage. You may just have to settle for 4.5GHz, in which case you should do as I recommended in my first reply. Lower your CPU core voltage down little by little until you find out what your lowest stable voltage is for 4.5Ghz.

In my experience the better the cooler is, the lower voltage is required to run at a certain speed. Your H60 may not allow you to run at 4.6GHz 1.300V, which I would guess also has to do with the individual CPU. @siliconlottery