Need Help - PC Won't Boot At All

u00drk1

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I need some suggestions on what to do. My computer isn't booting up at all. I'll give as much information as possible.

PC specs: ( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bjVXD3?fbclid=IwAR1i4CSrW7LJpsGHI95wW-rZiByj1BjYHUu1cPpn0GqD0p3mJo0OTeFV_Jk ) It's running windows 10 and has 4 cooling fans also.

I built my 1st PC 3 years ago and it's been running fine. It would freeze once in a while but and after a hard shutdown and restart, it would always be fine. (I've had to do this maybe 5 times only in the 3 years).

I also want to say that I recently got a Windows Mixed Reality Headset (Samsung Odyssey plus), And I was able to use it about 4 times, no problems. Well last night, I had my PC on and had been using it for an hour and a half, then I plugged in my headset into the USB 3.0 port and plugged in the HDMI cable and my PC froze. The mouse wasn't moving, nothing. I tried hitting Ctrl + Alt + Delete a couple times, that didn't do anything either. So I did a hard shutdown like I would do before in this situation, but now when I hit the power button to turn it back on, it won't even boot. The lights on the tower come on, and the fans come on, but nothing else.

I tried checking the monitor by turning it on and off. But it's fine. It comes on, shows the logo, then says "No signal" and goes into sleep mode. I even tried unplugging the DVI cable (that's the normal cable I use for the monitor), and plugged in an HDMI to see if it was the cable, but got the same thing.

I tried looking for the solution myself, but the list was very lengthy and I feel pretty lost, also none of the problems on the list were as specific as freezing when plugging in a peripheral.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

u00drk1

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Are you sure I don't meet the requirements? When you first plug in the headset, it runs a installation and it does a system requirements check before installing the software. All of them had green check marks, I don't believe it even lets you proceed with the installation unless you pass all requirements.

u00drk1

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Ok, so I tried both ram sticks, one at a time, in each slot... still nothing. Do you think both are bad? or should I try something else? Do you think the power supply is messed up. I think I read somewhere that a damaged power supply can still run the fans and lights, but not boot the computer. And it might have messed up when I plugged in the VR headset? Is that possible?
Or should I buy new RAM and try that first?

u00drk1

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Ok, so I cleared the CMOS and the fans and lights come on for a second, stop, and then turn back on. But still won't boot.

spunner5

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I'm really interested if you ever figured this one out.

I have a Asus Z170 / i7 6700K configuration, including an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 and the Samsung Odyssey+ and have similar issues (and here is the key) as long as the Odyssey+ is plugged into the USB port when the system is powered on. Its about a 1-in-3 chance that the system won't boot, stopping during POST, leaving the ASUS splash screen up and stopping cold. If I simply pull the USB connection and hit RESET, my system boots every time.

Curious if you see the same.