Question Need help picking a gaming switch for my house. 10Gbps SFP, VLAN tagging, 24+ ports, POE, WAP controller support

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I am looking to get rid of my old Wifi router and get rid of the one that Quantum Fiber (CenturyLink) has acting as a media converter too. So, I will need VLAN tagging to be able to get rid of the Quantum Fiber box. Eventually they will be offering 8Gbps, so the switch will need an SFP port that can a 10Gbps SFP. I want to use WAPs instead of a WiFi router so that I have better coverage and WiFi mesh doesn't work very well outside of a lab environment.

Any help is appreciated!

My guess is centurylink will not allow it. This is how they prevent unauthorized access and interfering with other neighbors on the same fiber.

I am unclear if you understand that the SFP used is GPON or XGPON and not etherent. They make so called "switches" that take these but they are nothing like the consumer switches that take fiber optical SFP. The ones I saw cost well over $1000 without the SFP modules which cost a couple hundred more.

Even if they would allow it there are many different variations of the light colors used and the gpon settings.

I do not know what century link uses lately. It should be possible to set their box to run as a simple modem with the router function disabled. All it will do is convert the GPON signals to ethernet. I do not think you have to do the vlan settings on any new router you purchase the ONT/modem should do that.

This is a extremely common question so I assume their customer support will tell you how you can accomplish this.

Even if they don't....att fiber is a example. You can just disable the wifi radios and run router behind router. The only concern would be if you needed to run some server in your house since you now have the double nat issue. Almost all ISP routers have a DMZ option that forwards all ports to your new router.