Need help picking DDR4 ram for a B150 mobo

Otakon7

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hello,

So I'm building a new pc and due to a limited selection in my area, I have to make a choice between buying two separate 2133 sticks or a 2666 kit.

The models are

* Kingston DDR4 4GB 2133MHz Value RAM (2 single sticks)
* Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 4GB 2666MHz (2x4 kit)

Now, my mobo (AsRock B150M Pro4) can only support 2133 Mhz (unless it can OC, but I doubt it's possible on a non Z board) but it supports XMP so there shouldn't be issues with lowering the speeds of the HyperX a bit.

My main problem is that should one of my sticks fail somewhere in the future, I'd have to find a proper 2666 Mhz stick to replace the faulty one, and it being a kit stick, I am not sure how well it would handle the replacement (especially if that stick is not 2666) so I am in need of an opinion in this regard.

The difference between the models is 5 USD so might as well go with 2666, I might change mobos in the future so why not, but if it's a better idea to go with two single 2133 sticks, no problem.

I have generally mixed and matched all kind of sticks in the past and haven't run into a single problem, It used to be that the system auto tunes the faster card to match the slower one automatically, but I am kinda out of the loop in how RAM works these days, so best to ask.

#########################################

So to sum it up, just in case so you don't get lost in the wall of text above lol:

#1 On a motherboard that supports only 2133 Mhz RAM, is it advisable to go for a higher speed set?
#2 Is there any problem in mixing RAM sticks that weren't in the same kit, provided they're from the same model, even if different speed?
#3 Slightly related, is it possible to OC RAM on a non-Z Skylake mobo?

Solution

No .... If a stick goes bad, you send it back to the manufacturer and they send you two new ones ... for free. Lifetime warranty. You do NOT send one back and they send you an new one, you send two back in the packaage and they send you a new pair that have been tested and are guaranteed to work together.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104530
Limited Warranty period (parts): Lifetime
Limited Warranty period (labor)...
1. There is no sense getting 2666 if board supports only 2133

2. No, you would not have an issue replacing a single 2666 stick as this is not recommended... always purchases RAM in pairs. Sticks from separate packages are not guaranteed to work together.

3. That part about being ready for a MoBo upgrade makes sense, but.... I would consider upgrading the MoBo from the getgo.

4. You can OC RAM **if** the MoBo supports that speed, that one doesn't.

Otakon7

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
@Jack: well, I am not the one to chose if a stick goes bad or not, but I guess if that happened, I'd have no choice but to try and find one that works with the other. I'm just not sure how well a kit stick would work with a non kit stick, my guess is just about as any other stick.

Buying a Z mobo would be an option were it not for the fact they are heavily overpriced in my area (the B150 I mentioned costs 100$, the closest Z board, the Z170 Pro4S is 130$), not THAT much, but I'm already 50$ above budget

And once again, I have no choice but to go for the 2666 if I want a kit (it's the cheapest one available), but since it costs only 5$ more then two 2133 single ones, I don't think it should pose an issue.

kayobro123

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Here is the answers for you problem

1: Apart from the odd compatibility issues, which can still occur even if you bought 2133 RAM or any other memory grade; even ones explicitly listed in your motherboard's memory QVL or the DIMM's motherboard QVL, it should work.
The whole point of standards is to make devices seamlessly interchangeable within their respective operating ranges but there will always be corner cases.
Memory manufacturers do not manufacture different dies for 1333/1600/1866/2000/2133/etc. They make the best dies they can, sort them in bin based on their per-die performance characteristics and make those into DIMMs. The reason why most memory grades below 2133-9 are priced almost the same is simply that memory manufacturers have mastered DDR4 fabrication well enough that a large chunk of their production hits that grade so it makes little sense to significantly discount anything slower.

2: I don't remember which one, but either your CPU or motherboard will choose the fastest speed that both memory sticks share that is supported by the motherboard. It should work fine.

3: You can OC RAM on that board, I have OCed ram on 10 year old board so ya

Otakon7

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
@Kayobro123: For #1 and #2, thanks for the input.

As for #3, well, modern boards aren't as "nice" as the old ones were so I dunno about that :p

Manufacturers usually state what is the max speed it can handle, and in the case of all non-Z 100 series boards, it seems they locked it at 2133. But, since I will most probably be going for the 2666 set, might as well give it a shot, if nothing else, to report if it works or not.

No .... If a stick goes bad, you send it back to the manufacturer and they send you two new ones ... for free. Lifetime warranty. You do NOT send one back and they send you an new one, you send two back in the packaage and they send you a new pair that have been tested and are guaranteed to work together.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104530
Limited Warranty period (parts): Lifetime
Limited Warranty period (labor): Lifetime

You can OC 1866 RAM to 2133 on a board that supports 2133 ... taking it to 2666 is a big jump and has little likelihood of success. The MoBo will also not recognize it which means inputting all timings, not just primary, manually.

Solution

Otakon7

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Not sure if it will work where I am from, since the sticks have a 3 year warranty at the shop (we do not contact the manufacturer, but go through the shops as the middle man), but I guess I might try contacting the manufacturer should it come to it. I've not had a ram stick go bad in the last 10 years, so I doubt it will "break" so easily, but thanks for mentioning, it will come in handy.

And thanks for the info, I guess if I really tried (provided I even can) I could OC it to 2400, but the difference between 2133 and 2400 is usually negligible.

Well, guess I'm going for the 2666 ones, kit's a kit.

Ferrol

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Did it work?