Question Need help picking from the PSU tierlist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OtapIc

Commendable
Jan 19, 2021

I assume most ppl who'll answer this thread already knows what the tier list is. I just need a recommendation for a Tier A or B PSU that's not pricey

I need an upgrade for my frankly crappy PSU, it held up for 2 years but it's about time I change into something reliable. I check the tierlist and well I realized I couldn't read it that well.

Hence why I'm asking for help, I'm looking at evga or seasonic but there's way too many models and have heard some of them might be bad and I don't really know which one is which

Edit: Thank you Aeacus and everyone else who's helped, so after a day of searching on the marketplace I've found an [MSI MPG A750GF] that was just close enough to my budget (brand new) and have decided on that instead

Last edited:
Warranty starts from purchase date, and not from manufacturing date.
That unit comes with a 30 day warranty. It's EOL since Q1 2017 so it's lying on the shelf somewhere for almost 6 years.

Yours doesn't include EOL PSUs, which still are viable. Especially outside USA, in 3rd world countries, which your PSU Tier list, does not cater for. Nor does your PSU buying guide, only catering for capitalist USA. Also, your site is biased beyond belief, overwhelmingly pushing Corsair onto people. Corsair PSUs are #1 in every suggested category on that site. This shows biased views.

For proper PSU suggestions, which isn't biased, take a look at TH suggestions,
link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

There, several companies are presented, where Corsair isn't #1 in all of them, since Corsair isn't PSU king.

First; I'm not a citizen of the USA.

Second; I give independed PSU recommandations based on proper reviews, self investigation, budget and availablity and not a fanboy of any brand at all.

Third; the most recent Tierlist does include EOL PSUs, your beloved brand for example, the S12II/M12II

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That unit comes with a 30 day warranty.

That, i actually didn't see. My Indonesian isn't that great.

It's EOL since Q1 2017 so it's lying on the shelf somewhere for almost 6 years.

True, but compared to used (abused) PSUs, this unused PSU, is still far better choice. And it is also better than newer crap sold today.

First; I'm not a citizen of the USA.

One doesn't need to be citizen of a country, to support it.
E.g i don't have Ukrainian citizenship, but that doesn't mean i don't support Ukraine.

Second; I give independed PSU recommandations based on proper reviews, self investigation, budget and availablity and not a fanboy of any brand at all.

Yet, you're annoyed by everyone else, who's opinion differs from yours.

This is 2nd topic of late, where we're having this discussion of PSUs. For PSU discussions, this topic here is better suited for that,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pply-discussion-thread-toms-hardware.3212332/

Third; the most recent Tierlist does include EOL PSUs, your beloved brand for example, the S12II/M12II

Like i said, that "latest" is biased.

Sure, it does include the old S12II and M12II EVO units, but classifies them as "Avoid", with poor excuse of "have or had UVP issues". While the source linked doesn't include none of the S12II / M12II EVO units. Instead, source consists of Cooler Master, Cougar, XFX and Zalman units. And while you could argue that XFX TX500 is made by Seasonic, well, no. It is designed by Seasonic, but made by Hydance. S12II / M12II EVO units are not equal to XFX TX500 unit, which this biased site is happily applying to Seasonic S12II / M12II EVO units.