Question Need Help Picking Motherboard

Mar 26, 2019
Hey everyone
I am currently building my first PC and so far I have these
  1. Ryzen 7 1700
  2. RX 580 8GB
I have looked online for motherboards but I keep finding mixed reviews for most party. I definitely plan to overclock the CPU (as much as possible) and possibly add additional GPU for cross-firex in the future.

My first question is does cross-fire really make a substantial difference (for games like fortnite/apex)?- as this has been the major dilemma for me.

And the motherboards I have been deciding between are ASUS TUF X470-Plus, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon, ASUS Prime X470-Pro, and ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F.

I read that they differ in their OC capabilities and their audio; and have found issues and benefits for each of them. Between these, or any others you guys might know, which is the best board for under $180

Also, please mention any RAM that you know will be supported by the motherboard you recommend. There are so many different options when it comes to RAM it is overwhelming lol.

Really appreciate it everyone, this website has helped me so much already

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F (which I got on sale for $90) and I'm very happy with it.
As far as OCing on this MB, I got my Ryzen 5 2600 up to 4.075 GHz (satble) but backed off to 3.95 GHz for 24/7 use. I did OC it to 4.1 GHZ and 4.2 GHz But it wasn't stable at the voltages I was comfortable with using.
I do have a temp sensor on my VRM and with my well cooled case (I have 5 fans) I have Not seen it go over 35C, My PCH (chipset) idles around 39C and maxes out at 45C after 3 to 4 hours of gaming.
See my Signature for details on my RAM.

The other MB's I considered when researching for this rig were the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon and MSI Tomahawk which both reviewed very well.

No matter what MB you choose I strongly suggest you go to the Manufacturers site and look at the Memory QVL (or compatibility List) and choose a RAM kit that is listed there.
You can also look on the RAM manufacturers site and see what kits they list as compatible with your MB.
That way you know it was tested and works at the rated speeds on your exact MB.

And I would get 3000 Mhz or 3200 MHz RAM, Ryzen rigs run much faster with fast RAM.

Last edited: