[SOLVED] Need help proving my CPU is causing BSOD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am continuing my long journey to solve my BSOD problems when playing Unity Games (Link to previous post)

Here is my machine info:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE ATX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16
SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 980PRO NVME M.2 SSD
GPU: ASUS AMD RADEON RX5700 8G
PSU: CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU
Chassis: Fractal Meshify Mid-Tower
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I have tried so far that has not helped

• Clean install of latest GPU drivers
  • Tried even downgrading GPU drivers
  • Updated BIOS to latest version
  • Updated AMD Chipset Drivers
  • Updated Motherboard Drivers
  • Cleaned out GPU and reseated it in the motherboard
  • Tried running Driver Verifier on Windows with no results
  • Ran MemTest86 and passed
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 (3 times now)
  • Ran Prime95 test for 20 hours, no issues
  • Bought new RAM
  • Bought a new SSD (980PRO)

Here is a link to my dump files : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvqkfheKEf-IgmQ5uHQ7PmFXtxlFLkAX/view?usp=sharing

After trying everything in my previous post, I replaced my SSD and the computer seemed to get better. However it is started BSOD 'ing again when playing Unity Games. I was able to further figure out that it seems to BSOD when there are mass movements done in the game. Example moving 500 models of a ship to a different area in the game at the same time. I got with the game developers to try to debug but they are not able to replicate the issue and have asked 20 other players to try the same thing and they dont get the crashing or BSOD. I kept searching on Google and found what seems to be issues that are identical to mine where it seems that math equations or calculations are causing access violations to the memory causing BSOD. Here are a couple links to people with similar issues

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...es-made-with-it-are-randomly-crashing.897173/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...s-crash-with-unityplayerdll-access-violation/

I was hoping someone way smarter than me can look at my dump files and see if my issue is being caused by the CPU like in the links above and if so, what would be the best way to go about proving to AMD that the CPU is the issue? This thing is driving me nuts and I would like to finally resolve it!

Solution
So I have found the issue. It was the CPU all along. @johnbl I went to MicroCenter today and bought a new Ryzen 5 5600X, PSU and a fresh copy of Windows. I figured it had to be either one of the 2 only things I have not attempted to replace or I somehow was installing a corrupt version of Windows so I bought a new copy just in case. The first thing I tried was swapping the CPU. I was planning to do a install of Windows again but while it booted up I missed the BIOS and it went straight to my desktop. So essentially it is running the same drivers and game and everything that my last BSOD was. I am not 4+ hours in and have played the game with zero issues, no blue screen or anything.

@Byte11 I looked at your thread...

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
current bugcheck was in 32 bit subsystem, access violation
running instup.exe
checking files for modification now. will look to see where instup.exe is running from. in a few mins (debugger running very slow for some reason)
debugger indicates that the clr.dll has 229 modifications
clr is the .net common language run time
Common Language Runtime - Wikipedia

kernelbase reports 4 modifications
user32 reports 15 errors

instup.exe was running 16 threads on several cpu cored
all threads were running under 32 bit subsystem.
one thread caused the bugcheck
call before the bugchek was
wow64cpu!cpupsyscallstub

program was run out of
c:\users\jlewa\ appdata\local\temp\7zse7.tmp\instupd.exe

So that is the gigabyte chipset driver. when you download it and run it, it extracts from a program called "7z Setup SFX".

Capture.png

Here is the link to the most recent BSOD from when I tried to Uninstall the AMD Chipset Drivers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iJB7HRG6S2pk4BygAVv6NvcFqzb_8TpL/view?usp=sharing

Also dont know if this helps or not but I downloaded AutoRuns and ran AutoRuns64. I found this showing certain WOW files are missing? Does this seem normal?

Capture.png

Last edited:
So that is the gigabyte chipset driver. when you download it and run it, it extracts from a program called "7z Setup SFX".

Capture.png

Here is the link to the most recent BSOD from when I tried to Uninstall the AMD Chipset Drivers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iJB7HRG6S2pk4BygAVv6NvcFqzb_8TpL/view?usp=sharing

Also dont know if this helps or not but I downloaded AutoRuns and ran AutoRuns64. I found this showing certain WOW files are missing? Does this seem normal?

Capture.png
missing wow64 files is normal, they are really junction points to some different location on the drive.

guess the 7zs is just a self extracting archive file.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
@johnbl were you able to look at the latest dump which is a BSOD for trying to uninstall the Chipset Drivers? I have tried uninstalling in Safe Mode and still get BSOD. Also noticed I cannot install any AMD driver without BSODing with the SYSTEM REFERENCE EXCEPTION. Not sure what my next steps would be? Should I reinstall windows again?

@johnbl were you able to look at the latest dump which is a BSOD for trying to uninstall the Chipset Drivers? I have tried uninstalling in Safe Mode and still get BSOD. Also noticed I cannot install any AMD driver without BSODing with the SYSTEM REFERENCE EXCEPTION. Not sure what my next steps would be? Should I reinstall windows again?
yes, i did look at it
it was the same issue of running 32 bit code and having it call out to 64 bit code and access violate.

I would do another clean install, and only let windows update with out adding any chipset drivers and run that way for a while. Just use the microsoft generic drivers. If you have to, install the amd drivers directly from amd and skip gigabyte. if your bios has any special functions that install drivers from bios, be sure to disable them. (asus bios has the armory crate that does this, not sure about gigabyte motherboards)
when I look at bugchecks on other AMD systems. very few run the amd crash defender drivers. very few run the ryzenmaster drivers.

microsoft may have made changes to block 32 bit access to 64 bit functions since malware tries to bypass virus scanners this way. I have seen posts that indicate the gigabyte installer has problems after the last major update. looked like people installing the tools after they updated to 21h2 November 2021 Update . It could be that upgrades left the old driver installed and it worked but clean installs failed. I could not tell from what people said.

Last edited:

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
yes, i did look at it
it was the same issue of running 32 bit code and having it call out to 64 bit code and access violate.

I would do another clean install, and only let windows update with out adding any chipset drivers and run that way for a while. Just use the microsoft generic drivers. If you have to, install the amd drivers directly from amd and skip gigabyte. if your bios has any special functions that install drivers from bios, be sure to disable them. (asus bios has the armory crate that does this, not sure about gigabyte motherboards)
when I look at bugchecks on other AMD systems. very few run the amd crash defender drivers. very few run the ryzenmaster drivers.

microsoft may have made changes to block 32 bit access to 64 bit functions since malware tries to bypass virus scanners this way. I have seen posts that indicate the gigabyte installer has problems after the last major update. looked like people installing the tools after they updated to 21h2 November 2021 Update . It could be that upgrades left the old driver installed and it worked but clean installs failed. I could not tell from what people said.

Thank you, I did reinstall windows. I unplugged my LAN cable before I installed and I turned off the automatic install of drivers from Windows to try and see if I can install the gigabyte drivers before Windows tries to install anything. I went to install it and kept getting bsod with KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE. I did a sfc/scannow and it had damaged files it said it repaired. Here is a link to the log file if it helps anything

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RIhEUgjrIzJ7XoGLyxQw5MedQ5vOs6UA/view?usp=sharing

After reading your comment, I turned back on the automatic install of drivers and will try playing that game to see if I get BSOD. I think i will but will let you know.

EDIT: Yeah it BSOD with KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. Do you think its the motherboard related?

Last edited:
kind of think it is related to the gigabyte installer/tools.
normally windows will not install amd crashdefender even after it does its self update. have you done a clean windows install, update and check the sfc.exe and dism to see if windows thinks the files are installed ok.

then try your game
after running game run the sfc.exe and dism to see if windows has been modified.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
kind of think it is related to the gigabyte installer/tools.
normally windows will not install amd crashdefender even after it does its self update. have you done a clean windows install, update and check the sfc.exe and dism to see if windows thinks the files are installed ok.

then try your game
after running game run the sfc.exe and dism to see if windows has been modified.

Will try that again now. I purchased a new Motherboard today (An MSI Tomahawk X570S) as the several people I talked to at MicroCenter felt it was the motherboard after all the hardware passed their diagnostic tests. I am doing that now and will update you here in a few short mins

Will try that again now. I purchased a new Motherboard today (An MSI Tomahawk X570S) as the several people I talked to at MicroCenter felt it was the motherboard after all the hardware passed their diagnostic tests. I am doing that now and will update you here in a few short mins
assuming it is not a unpatched cpu bug.
lots of bugs in cpu, they get patched via bios updates and a microsoft cpu specific dll.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
@johnbl Ok so I did a fresh install of Windows and replaced the Gigabyte Board with the MSI. As soon as I first log in, I run the sfc/scannow command and it comes back with errors (NOTE: I was not connected to the internet for fresh install or running this command)

Capture.png

Here is the log file that is referenced in the image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5EYMYcT4ybIBG-K0SpBoKqULsukn73B/view?usp=sharing

Not sure where to go next with this? Should I try the game again?

@johnbl Ok so I did a fresh install of Windows and replaced the Gigabyte Board with the MSI. As soon as I first log in, I run the sfc/scannow command and it comes back with errors (NOTE: I was not connected to the internet for fresh install or running this command)

Capture.png

Here is the log file that is referenced in the image

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V5EYMYcT4ybIBG-K0SpBoKqULsukn73B/view?usp=sharing

Not sure where to go next with this? Should I try the game again?
reboot and run the command again to see that the repairs completed.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
reboot and run the command again to see that the repairs completed.

Yes I rebooted and ran command and it says there are no violations. Tried the game and same BSOD. Called my brother who has exact same setup as me (the old motherboard) had him download the game and he has no issues. Man i have never wanted to burn something to the ground more than this PC right now

@johnbl wanted to share what my screen looks like when it BSODs. Notice the distorted pattern on the bottom half. Do you think this may point to a graphics card issue?

56603-DE7-AA9-B-4065-A5-B7-D8705284-B75-A.jpg
does your monitor use some special refresh frequency? or video mode. how is it connected (what connection type and cable type? hdmi cat 1, 2, 3?

when you reinstalled did you remake your windows intall image?
I think the log had errors in the wow subsystem from the install. Maybe they are on your install image?

note: I tried to find a buglist for your cpu
amd family 17h model 71h

google "revisions amd family 17h"
could not find one for your cpu
just a programmers reference,

Last edited:

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
@johnbl for the monitor, no I dont have any special refresh or video mode. Its connected straight from the HDMI. I redownloaded the Media Creation Tool and loaded up another USB and reinstalled Windows again. I did the sfc/scan and it came back that there were corrupt files that it fixed. Now I get BSOD just sitting here doing nothing to the PC. Here is a dump I was able to grab. Curious to see what it says

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCuNJIBk0xOakYR47pHFxLaQyJn04B1b/view?usp=sharing

@johnbl for the monitor, no I dont have any special refresh or video mode. Its connected straight from the HDMI. I redownloaded the Media Creation Tool and loaded up another USB and reinstalled Windows again. I did the sfc/scan and it came back that there were corrupt files that it fixed. Now I get BSOD just sitting here doing nothing to the PC. Here is a dump I was able to grab. Curious to see what it says

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCuNJIBk0xOakYR47pHFxLaQyJn04B1b/view?usp=sharing
access violation coming out of wow64
process running was some dot net optimization

: kd> lmDvmclr
Browse full module list
start end module name
0000000075370000 0000000075b21000 clr (pdb symbols) C:\ProgramData\dbg\sym\clr.pdb\D4AC7A20608943C0B5EDF8A273B8091E2\clr.pdb
Loaded symbol image file: clr.dll
Mapped memory image file: C:\ProgramData\dbg\sym\clr.dll\60B904147b1000\clr.dll
Image path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Image name: clr.dll
Browse all global symbols functions data
Timestamp: Thu Jun 3 09:32:20 2021 (60B90414)
CheckSum: 007B2796
ImageSize: 007B1000
File version: 4.8.4400.0
Product version: 4.0.30319.0
File flags: 8 (Mask 3F) Private
File OS: 4 Unknown Win32
File type: 2.0 Dll
File date: 00000000.00000000
Translations: 0409.04b0
Information from resource tables:
CompanyName: Microsoft Corporation
ProductName: Microsoft® .NET Framework
InternalName: clr.dll
OriginalFilename: clr.dll
ProductVersion: 4.8.4400.0
FileVersion: 4.8.4400.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
PrivateBuild: DDBLD360B
FileDescription: Microsoft .NET Runtime Common Language Runtime - WorkStation
LegalCopyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Comments: Flavor=Retail

6: kd> !chkimg clr
235 errors : clr (7537ebf4-7537f7db)
6: kd> !chkimg -d clr
7537ebf4-7537ebfa 7 bytes - clr!GetThread
[ eb 1e cc cc cc cc cc:64 a1 20 0e 00 00 c3 ]
7537ec04-7537ec0a 7 bytes - clr!GetAppDomain (+0x10)
[ eb 0e cc cc cc cc cc:64 a1 24 0e 00 00 c3 ]
7537ec18-7537ec1e 7 bytes - clr!ClrFlsGetBlock (+0x14)
[ eb fa cc cc cc cc cc:64 a1 28 0e 00 00 c3 ]
7537ec30-7537ec51 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierEAX (+0x18)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 02 81 f8 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ec60-7537ec81 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierEBX (+0x30)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 1a 81 fb 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ec90-7537ecb1 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierECX (+0x30)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 0a 81 f9 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ecc0-7537ece1 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierESI (+0x30)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 32 81 fe 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ecf0-7537ed11 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierEDI (+0x30)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 3a 81 ff 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ed20-7537ed41 34 bytes - clr!JIT_WriteBarrierEBP (+0x30)
[ cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc:89 2a 81 fd 0c 10 09 02 ]
7537ed60-7537ed61 2 bytes - clr!PrecodeRemotingThunk (+0x40)
[ c3 90:85 c9 ]
7537ed66-7537ed69 4 bytes - clr!PrecodeRemotingThunk+6 (+0x06)
[ 11 11 11 11:0c 00 4d 7f ]
7537f7d8-7537f7db 4 bytes - clr!s_gsCookie (+0xa72)
[ 00 00 00 00:6b c3 c2 13 ]
235 errors : clr (7537ebf4-7537f7db)

Last edited:
I was thinking about how your dot net tool did not run on your new build.
you might go into settings "turn windows features on or off"
and look at the settings for dot net 4 and maybe turn something off and see if dot net 3.5 works. add dot net 3.5 if it is not on your computer.

when I was looking at the last debug output it looked like the system was trying to read some setting from the registry before the access violation.

it could be a bug where some setting is not in the registry unless you have upgraded from a previous version. or it could be looking for some setting that dot net 3.5 wrote to the registry. i would at least confirm that dot net 3.5 is on your machine and dot net 4.x installed and updated. I guess you could even remove dot net 4 and see if things work with 3.5

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I was thinking about how your dot net tool did not run on your new build.
you might go into settings "turn windows features on or off"
and look at the settings for dot net 4 and maybe turn something off and see if dot net 3.5 works. add dot net 3.5 if it is not on your computer.

when I was looking at the last debug output it looked like the system was trying to read some setting from the registry before the access violation.

it could be a bug where some setting is not in the registry unless you have upgraded from a previous version. or it could be looking for some setting that dot net 3.5 wrote to the registry. i would at least confirm that dot net 3.5 is on your machine and dot net 4.x installed and updated. I guess you could even remove dot net 4 and see if things work with 3.5

@johnbl I have tested a couple things. One is I tried a new graphics card to see if that was possibly the issue. However still got the blue screen. I then redownloaded the Media Creation Tool on a seperate computer and reinstalled Windows on this PC again. Ran sfc/scannow right after load up and still said I had corrupt files that were repaired. I then looked in the setting you mentioned and .NET Framework 3.5 was not checked or filled in. So I checked that and it downloaded some required files. I will attempt to run the game again and see if I get a blue screen. If I do, I will update you with the dump

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
@johnbl So I immediately BSOD when the game started with a KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. I was able to gather the logs and while I did that and tried to upload, I got another BSOD which I am currently trying to upload for you to take a look.

Here is the link to it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sLUKbbAqYWCO0rfXOHIq9MOneFlHN-I4/view?usp=sharing

After these two BSOD I updated the motherboard BIOS to latest version and tried to install the latest Chipset Drivers. I kept getting BSOD doing that so I went in safe mode and was able to install it. After still getting errors, I tried the GAME BOOST in the BIOS for the CPU and XMP for the RAM. I was able to play the game for maybe a few minutes (longer than previous attempts) and then I got a BSOD of REFERENCE BY POINTER. Next I tried to run the game with only 1 stick of RAM to see if it may be a RAM issue. I tried the first one and still got the error, swapped it out for the second stick and still got the error. Was thinking about doing another MEMTEST86 but I think its fruitless at this point.

Once the second dump is uploaded I will update here for you. Appreciate your help as always and hopefully we can figure this out. My theory is its a hardware issue and since I have replaced everything but the CPU and PSU, I am thinking its the CPU itself causing this. Do you think its worth running another Prime95 test?

current memory dump, cpu core 14 was waiting for cpu core 7 to complete something and it did not.

maybe go into bios and turn off amd cpu hyperthreading? and just run on physical cores.
still looking at the dump
=================
debug info
core 14 was attempting to flush the cpu cache (sysstem process)

core 7 was trying to talk to another core and faulted and called the bugcheck

core 6 was running your game, MankindRemastered.exe
----------
for one of the mindumps : you can start cmd.exe as an admin and run
ngen.exe executequeueditems
while the system is not busy. it is to compile part of the dot net assemblies
this is to get your dot net fully up and running for your system before you attempt to run a game.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the BSOD after Hyper Threading was turned off. I cannot load into normal windows for more than a minute without BSOD,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jqjmTdrwtLqIIeHNGIYxinLAqrCuIuq/view?usp=sharing
corrupt stack in 32bit subsystem again.

can you see if there is some 32 shell extension being loaded
ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows (nirsoft.net)
use the 64 bit version and look for 32 bit extensions. (non microsoft)

if your cpu has a internal gpu, pull your main gpu boot and see if you can build the dot net assemblies with cpu only graphics.
if they build, then power down and reinstall your graphics card.

Last edited:

Byte11

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I've been following this thread because I've got a similar issue here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ting-no-minidump-custom-watercooling.3764839/. Whenever I boot into a game, I get BSOD within a few minutes of playing. One thing for me, is that I've got Linux installed on another drive and I don't have these issues.

Like you, I've replaced my drive, swapped my GPU, I've got a Ryzen CPU, and I've got a GIGABYTE motherboard.

I thought it was a motherboard issue and I was about to order another one (actually also an MSI, I've had good experiences with them), but now that I'm looking at this thread, maybe that's a bad idea. Could it really be a malware issue? What kind of malware can survive C:/ drive swap but causes blue screens constantly? I'm going to run a malwarebytes scan. If there's anything we can do to help each other, I know I'd appreciate it because our issues might be related.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
So I have found the issue. It was the CPU all along. @johnbl I went to MicroCenter today and bought a new Ryzen 5 5600X, PSU and a fresh copy of Windows. I figured it had to be either one of the 2 only things I have not attempted to replace or I somehow was installing a corrupt version of Windows so I bought a new copy just in case. The first thing I tried was swapping the CPU. I was planning to do a install of Windows again but while it booted up I missed the BIOS and it went straight to my desktop. So essentially it is running the same drivers and game and everything that my last BSOD was. I am not 4+ hours in and have played the game with zero issues, no blue screen or anything.

@Byte11 I looked at your thread and the only thing I can think of is that somehow your Ryzen CPU has an issue when running Windows OS like mine seems to. Are you able to update the chipset drivers without BSOD? Thats what really made me believe it was the CPU because I could BSOD trying to do that on my Gigabyte Mobo and also this MSI one. One thing you could do is change your Windows memory dump to Complete Memory Dump ( Just follow the instructions on this link and select Complete memory dump instead of Kernel How to Enable Windows Kernel Memory Dumps – MCCI ) and then BSOD your computer. Copy the MEMORY dump to the Desktop as well as the Minidumps, then zip them. The memory dump will be like 31GB before you zip it, just an FYI. Maybe then johnbl could take a look and see if he sees the same issues I have been facing in your dump. If so then I would say go buy a new CPU and try it out. Hopefully that will solve your issue like it did for me.

Solution